The belt

Time jump: Month later

Barba glanced in the mirror once more straightening his tie. He decided a three-piece dark blue suit, with a white shirt and yellow tie would work for today. After a month of settling into his new life, he finally got the call. He had been doing some pro-bono in the month he's been settling. Getting his name back out there, within the courthouse.

Today was his first day as New York ADA. Grabbing his jacket, keys, phone, and briefcase he called for his dog. The two stepped out of the loft, into the elevator, and out the door. For once in who knows how long, he was nervous.

Walking into the building he showed his ID to the guard while asking for directions to his office. As he turned the corner towards his office, he rolled his eyes at finding Carmen at the desk just outside his doors. Without a word, he walked into the office, with the younger agent hot on his heels.

"You weren't kidding about working together." Barba shrugged his jacket off draping it over his chair. "My secretary? Really?"

Carmen shrugged. "I don't have experience in law. This was the only cover." Her eyes fell on the dog. "You brought your dog?"

Barba looked up from his desk. "Is that a problem?"

"No pets." She snapped.

"She's not a pet and you know that." Barba pinned her with a look to back off. "Leave me, please. I need to make sense of this mess." His desk was a mess of files.

After working through the morning and lunch, he filed the last folder. Half the files on his desk had been solved or cold cases. The few he could work with were handed to Carmen for an update from the investigating detectives. The grumble from his stomach begging for food was enough to get him up and moving. But just as he reached for his jacket, he spotted three individuals outside his office. Seeing Carmen gesture towards him, he flopped back into his chair with a grumble.

"Rafael Barba?" A male asked as he walked into his office.

"That's what it says on the door." Barba had his head tossed back, trying not to sound annoyed.

"I'm captain Harrison, these are detective Rollins and detective Benson." The captain introduced.

"What's today bring your daughters to-" He stopped at seeing the familiar face of Olivia. "Work."

Olivia was just as surprised at seeing him. Let alone in the chair of the ADA. "Rafael."

Barba stood from his chair, walking over to her a smirk playing at the edge of his lips. "Olivia."

Amanda shared a look with Mike. "You two know each?"

"Yes." Olivia smiled. "We met about a month ago was it?"

Barba nodded. "On my first night in the city. You and your son Noah." Glancing at the woman in front of him, he couldn't help but smile. "Nice to see a familiar face."

"Likewise." Olivia replied. "So you're the new ADA?"

"Yes, and I have noticed you and your squad tend to get a new one every few months." Barba chuckled. "Scare them off before they could even settle."

Olivia noticed the look of amusement in his eyes. "They just can't keep up with us."

"I bet." Crossing his arms, he leaned against his desk. "What can I do for you? I am sure you aren't here to welcome me."

"What makes you so sure of that?" Amanda teased.

Barba's eyes landed on the blonde. "For starters, you are here with him." He gestured to the captain. "Secondly SVU squad doesn't play nice with the ADA's. So, I'll ask again what can I do for you?"