Hospital time

Time jump: few hours later

Barba knocked on the door stepping back as he waited for an answer. Looking down both ends of the hallway for anyone approaching. After what Lewis did he had become more paranoid than his usual self, according to James. And much to James's annoyance, Barba had one guard assigned to each member's house and kids' schools. He wasn't taking any risks at the moment. He assured James it was just until the Lewis trial was over. One his 'superiors' recommended he step down and let someone else handle. But one look into his eyes they dropped the request. If Barba wasn't allowed to inflict pain upon Lewis, he would make sure he at least rot in prison. Besides, it's not hard finding someone willing to help him from the inside. Hearing the lock on the door unlock, he frowned at not seeing anyone once the door opened.

"Hi, Rafa!" A small blur of colors attacked his legs in a mightily hug.

"Hola muñeca." Picking Jess up in his arms he planted a kiss on her cheek. "Where's your mami?"

"Inside." She stated it in the most obvious of tones, even managing to pull the same look Rollins did when asked a stupid question.

Barbara cackled. "You are starting to sound like your mother."

"You make it sound like it's a bad thing." Amanda appeared at the door soaking wet. "Jess you know not to open the door unless I so."

"Still under debate." Handing her the child back, he gestured to her soaked shirt. "Gone swimming or you just happy to see me?"

"You're not funny."

"I've been told otherwise."

Opening the door wider, she allowed him into the apartment. "Noah and Jess have agreed that your dog stinks. So, they decided a shower was in order."

"Oh no." Barba choked on his laughter, preventing it from coming out. "I mean really?"

"She's a demon." Amanda growled. "My bathroom is completely soaked and don't get me started my floors."

Barba couldn't hold it in anymore and let out a deep laugh. "Desoro is not the best when it comes to baths. It's one of the reasons I use dry shampoo on her."

"A warning would have been nice." She grumbled. "How's Liv?" She hadn't failed in noticing the bruise on his jaw. "Get into it with Cassidy again?"

"No." Barba ran a hand over his jaw, wincing at the slight pain shooting across. She didn't need to know the details of how he got it. "She's been better, but Liv's a strong woman. She will pull through this."

"She is indeed."

Placing two fingers into the tip of his mouth, he whistled. Amanda threw a small rag at him not expecting the loud noise. Desoro wasted no time in escaping from the bathroom and coming to stop in front of him. "Hey, miss me?"

"Get a room." Amanda gagged.

Ignoring the comment, he spotted Noah coming out of the bathroom. The boy was worse than Amanda. "What happened? You take a dip in the water?"

"No!" He giggled. "Desoro shook herself and wet me." Before Barba could react, Noah tackled into his chest. The water sweeping into his suit. "Hi, uncle Rafa!"

Barba cringed at his wet shirt sticking to his chest. "Hey, mijo." Tossing Amanda, a fatigued look, he picked Noah up and walked him to the couch. "Come over here, we need to talk." He sat the boy on his lap. "I know your mami was supposed to pick you up today." Noah nodded. "She won't be able to, which is part of the reason I am here."

"What's the other reason?" Noah asked.

Noah was a smart boy. He understood the dangers it was to be a cop. Which made this even harder. "Your mami was hurt at work."