Dinnertime with the Madrigals

Music is playing. It's an uplifting happy melody. There are 9 of the 12 Madrigals already hustling around the kitchen and the dining table. They aren't surprised by you joining in. You figure that someone has already told them that there is a guest.

Camilo's Abuela rings a bell and everyone quiets down. You sit down across from Camilo, in between a pretty girl with long shiny hair who has a flowery fragrance and a clumsy but super friendly girl with glasses. They look you up and down, nod to each other like you are part of a plan they made, and start putting food on their plates.

Meanwhile, you can feel someone staring at you. Camilo notices too. It's the person next to him.

He starts talking like he held this in for a while: "Hello, I'm Camilo's father! Félix is my name. Nice to meet you Y/N! I've been waiting to meet you but Camilo didn't let me in on your little date." he looks a bit disappointed. The way a dad looks when his offspring doesn't want to introduce their new friend.

suddenly more people are joining the conversation and becoming interested in you. "honey don't scare Camilo's guest." says the woman next to Félix. And little Antonio interrupts her by asking: "Is Camilo your boyfriend? Did you both kiss? Dolores says you are in looove!" "Antonio! That's not true!" Camilo is clearly embarrassed by his family.

The way they treat the flustered Camilo is making you join their laughter.

You all eat and chatter for good thirty minutes. Then one of them says it. The thing you were wondering about. "...and since Mirabel is the only Madrigal without a gift..." Gifts! The weird things that made you feel dreamy and weird around Camilo's family. It was their gifts!

The feeling of being watched, of hiding something, of the house moving when you're not looking. Like there is a friendly ghost following you, one that comforts you and looks out for you but finding out will still give you shivers.

The Madrigals. They have gifts. Did they all go through the same thing as you? No right? How did they get them then? You never told anyone about your gift. Because it's not a gift it's a curse to remind you of something. Like a big scar that only you know about.

"Y/N it got kinda late when should you go home? Your parents will be worried!" Camilo asks.

You flinch unintentionally. Wrong moment Camilo. Wrong moment. Your 'parents' are the last thing you want to think about right now.