36. Past is not the Future

"It's my fucking money," you growl, looking up. The chill in your voice shocks Lily. You're angry in a way she's never seen before.

"And it's my fucking music - it's like he's got my life, Monica," you grit your teeth, "it sounds like just another pop song, doesn't it - oh la la rarer than a pink diamond - still it was - it is the song I'm most proud of," you whisper, "I was in a shithole - no rent, no fucking food except stale burgers from that restaurant - I couldn't anymore. I just couldn't. So I figured let's at least write one last song to myself. The world doesn't give a shit about me but I recognize my worth. I believe in me. So I wrote it - in the McDonald's bathroom on a fucking bill," the resolution is very real in your eyes when you say, "he can't take that away from me. I won't let him!"

Right then, the penthouse lock system beeps. You're not expecting anyone at this hour.

"Ah - I was about to add," Monica starts in a careful tone, "Your mother's here."

You don't move from your place. Lily gets the door and returns with your mum in tow.

Your mother takes one look at your face and speaks to Monica, "you told her then?"

Monica nods. "I got a call," your mum continues after sitting down on a plush chair across from you, "Ribbon will declare bankruptcy within three months."

"As expected," Monica sighs.

"This is your chance to get back your old albums, Y/N," your mother says.

"Where are we on legal, Monica?" you ask, not answering your mother directly.

"See. The good thing is that you have writing credits in all your songs. That was the whole loophole thing - he owns the albums but since you wrote the songs you could just re-record them. The bad thing is - he has writing credits too on a few - and some of them happen to be the biggest hits - including Pink Diamond. Unless he sells them to some other company - he won't because we're already on to him - we can get back those songs that are just yours easily. But IP laws get tricky for those that you co-wrote."

"What if I re-record everything?" you flinch internally while even making that suggestion. It is exhausting, to say the least - and who knows if you can get the same spunk out there again? You're not the same person anymore. And most importantly - those recordings are a part of you - of everything you went through.

"Again, easier for those you solely own, hard for those he co-wrote," Monica says.

"Co-wrote - what bullshit. It was me and his production interns who did all the work," you run your hands through your hair in frustration. It's a good thing you had your hair cut a few days ago. There's one less thing weighing your head down. You glance at your mom.

"I told you not to leave home for him," she says.

"Really, Ma? You wanna do this now?" you warn.

"All I'm saying is that he was a bad sort from the start, look where he's landed you."

"Where he's landed me? Where have YOU landed me? You don't know - you were never there!" you raise your voice in the end, trembling at the same time. "What have you ever done, Ma?" You take deep breaths, trying to keep control.

"I have been fighting him for you for five whole years Y/N! Do you think I enjoy spending my life taking care of your money?" your mother responds, not quite raising her voice as much as you.

"I am paying you for it," you shake your head, "What's the point of you fighting him if at the end he still gets Prakriti?"

"He hasn't taken it yet -"