53. Happy Birthday Pt. 1

A trail of expensive cars greets you at Hannam Hill. It doesn't immediately hit you that this line leads to the small gathering at Yoongi's place. The events of yesterday have sapped every good feeling out of you. But I can't be hopeless. I can still get things back on track, right Y/N? For once, your self-talk fails. There's just silence inside you. It is not until you're inside the hall at the mansion that you notice that the so-called close gathering of Yoongi's birthday isn't that small. There are at least a hundred people huddled in many groups under the dim lighting. You notice the Bangtan Boys here and there, a few producers and executives that you recognize, but most people are unknown to you.

"Y/N!" Namjoon's familiar voice reaches you. He looks dapper as usual in a navy suit.

"Aw hey, Namjoon," you reply, mustering up your regular cheery self. You exchange small talk, letting him lead the conversation. You absently smoothen your dress. The top is sheer black, giving a glimpse of the corset inside. You were quite in love with this look but tonight nothing seems to matter. You're almost guilty that you're in this mood on his birthday. Thinking of, you can't see Yoongi anywhere.

Namjoon notices your eyes searching the place. "He's upstairs - don't tell anyone though."

"Why? Is something wrong?"

He chuckles. "You'll see. For now, the story is that he was here for a while and now he's not," he pauses while you nod, "and the staircase is on the back of the fountain."

Count on Min Yoongi to install a full-fledged fountain in his home. You had a feeling that underneath his everything-is-gonna-end-one-day vibe, was hidden a rather fancy taste. But then, he doesn't live here much, does he? He's mostly at HYBE or the dorm. Upstairs, you wonder which door to take. Hesitant to cross the balcony that would put you in full view of the people below, you try the first door near the staircase.

It's a fairly large living room with bookshelves, a couch, and a grand piano, all shrouded in semi-darkness. You take a few tentative steps in. The night view of the Han River from the French windows is glorious. It doesn't look like anyone's in, but you call out his name in a whisper just to be sure.

"Min Yoongi? Are you here? No? Ok," you turn to leave. But the door you came from is already almost shut. Leaning next to it is the familiar figure of Yoongi. He's in a simple black suit, plain white shirt, and bow tie is hanging undone around his collar. He's changed his hair back to black, although the length is still longish like before. But it is the way he's looking at you that makes you go weak in the knees. No smirk, no smile, just a lazy gaze fixed on you from the shadows.

He enjoys how flustered you get when you notice him a little late. Not that he's sneaky around you on purpose. He's just sneaky in general - it helps him avoid people. He wants to ask you if something is bothering you - because you look more worried than you should. There's so much more he wants to say but all he is able to do is stare.

You had planned to wish him with a warm friendly hug. But right now, there was nothing friendly about the tension between you both. You'd end up kissing that smirk off his lips. The events of the last two days might be making you more reckless than you usually are, but you push that realisation away from your head and take a step towards him. He reciprocates with two, finally coming out from the shadows with pantherlike grace. That's when you notice the bottle in his left hand and stop dead.

Oh hell no.

You're not sleeping with him while you're sober and he's drunk. The last thing you want is to be a part of a moment he ends up regretting the next morning. You grimace before finally greeting him,

"Hey, Yoongi," your voice is soft.

"Hey, Y/N," he replies in an equally low voice. He's still a few steps away from you. He smiles ever so slightly and bows, "thank you for coming tonight."