CHAPTER 8 - THE FIRST TIME I LOOK PRETTY IN A KIMONO

We finally arrive in Kyoto! Its so cool, loving the fact that it still sticks to its traditional vibe for the most part. I really doubt that it looks like this, but Matsuri tells me that this is only an area called Gion. But it's as well a must visit because of the whole surroundings. It's like another whole strange dimension where it keeps old and historical seemingly. Everything urban city, is all just here... transformed in this area of Gion. Like your stereotypical traditional Japanese area with Geishas, Izakayas, bars... I'm convinced they did well in keeping it very modern and minimalistic as well. I was also told that there are so many temples and shrines here in Kyoto as well. I ask Matsuri if she would try showing me all of them. She said "I can show you a few. Not all because they're not that exciting I feel. The ones I'd show you, yes.

   Don't you feel tired yet Izumi?" "Kinda. But this feels quite better than my travel around Tokyo mayhem."

  Matsuri makes me visit a hill with a staircase, with a really weird legend behind it. I found it scary rather. They said that if you fall down the stairs, you would die within two or three years. Depending on the stair names. Ninenzaka and Sannenzaka. That's what people said here only. So that's why Matsuri brought some weird thing that prevents us from being coincidentally dead soon, in case we fall. But even if the language is difficult, I do find their word combining names clever. Matsuri tests me with both its names here. Zaka means hill, and the Nen is used for years. "All I have to figure out is the difference between the names. Ni, and San... means two and three. So... two or three- year- hill?"

  Matsuri claps her hands for it saying: "Close enough. It's slope but I'll give it to you. Hill and slope are kinda the same. You're getting it. You're having potential to those Japanese name origins here. Good for you. We'll keep practicing later on."

  - After that... I laugh that Matsuri will take me to Kiyomizu temple. I've heard it on YouTube that there, it has the all famous proverb. Jumping off of Kiyomizu stage, for a bold attempt to pursuit a wish. It's 43 feet off the ground, and I wonder if you could survive the fall. Most did, but some did die. And it's fair that it's not allowed anymore.

   - Next stop is Kyoto Imperial palace. Until the mid 19th century then again, it used to be the home of the imperial family. Until they moved to Tokyo. Very interesting, but I found out. That if you switch the syllables of Kyoto, you get Tokyo. Do the same with Tokyo to Kyoto... and voila. We visited the beautiful and peaceful iconic...

  - Kinkaku-ji temple. And I think I would recognize it as the most famous zen temple to meditate. I think that'd go with any Buddhist temples here in Kyoto. Even it has a twin zen temple; Ginkaku-ji.

  - Fushimi castle really does give off this samurai look vibe into it. And that'd be probably the point. I think it has the same history from Osaka Castle as I read it. And it does look like Osaka Castle, but more red and in Kyoto. Looks really huge.

  - Nijo castle, looks very huge perhaps. Just at huge as the old imperial palace. It was built for the first emperor during the Edo period very one ago. Divided into Ninomaru, and Honmaru. Very interesting if you ask me. There isn't must Matsuri and I could do there, except walk in and leave.

- Another giant temple for the Buddhists long ago, is Tofuku-ji temple. You gotta be right. Kyoto has way too many temples, castles, and shrines. Isn't that a beauty? But the garden feels like my ideal one. We try doing the meditating pose ourselves, and... could be better.

  - To-ji temple... that must have its most iconic looks ever in Japan. Looking like a stacked tower with many roofs onto it, balconies looking so high up, and keeping its stack together. But imagine just looking at here during the cherry blossom seasons.