CHAPTER 11 - HARAJUKU

November 21

       Matsuri invites me and her friends to a day in Harajuku. But she never told me which group of friends. As we discussed that she would invite her hard-level friends. I would like to meet them anyways because I'm excited. But her encouraging friends were very much of an excitement worth for me. Either are fine.

     I try this time to take the JR-Y subway line to Harajuku. And it worked well actually. I know because I visited Shibuya many times, I pass over Harajuku many times as well. As I arrive in the station and see Matsuri, she brought her friends from yesterday again. And they stop at a third level café in that Uniqlo plaza; with the IKEA beside it.

  Me: "Why them again? Why not your other friends you mentioned?"

Matsuri: "Aren't you nervous?" Me: "No. Of course not." Okay. I actually am. That's why I want it now and just get killed. Make that pass on faster as something I hope I wouldn't care.

  Matsuri: "They want to spend another day with you. So we should spare them one. And we also go here all the time. All of us."

   Okay. That makes sense. I still like and want to get to know them. And before we go inside Takeshita street, Harada wants to ask me: "Izumi-chan, ... have you ever been to Harajuku... or Takeshita street before." In Japanese where Matsuri translated it. I tell them the whole story of how: "I felt like Harajuku felt like such a rabbit hole in Japan. How I was a real Alice in it. I fell down like it. It really made me both excited and lost, I couldn't hold it very well. And I ran away so fast from it."

    But I gotta ask: "Is there anything you'd usually do here in Harajuku." Sugisaki answers it in Japanese. But then again, Matsuri translates it.

   "When we were teenagers in Harajuku, we would go crazy shopping in Takeshita street. We would be those cliché edgy styled fashionist teens. You know... like the Gyaru, punk, Lolita, Gothic, fairy, you'd get the idea. That was in the late 2000s and 2010s. Pop culture was then invested and grown like crazy. They were the crazy dressers, while I was the Ko-Gyaru. The standard and boring one. But we have spent a lot of money for shopping in Takeshita street. So now we would just shop at the back alleys more often. I know... it's kinda boring. It was much fun when we were young teens."

   "So... Back alleys?" I ask. Matsuri asks: "Have you dressed up in the Harajuku styles?" I reply no. I wish I would do it. Matsuri and her friends huddle chattering to each other. That so, all of them agree to take me Harajuku shopping again after a long time... for them.

   And I react excited and very nervous mostly.

   But what made me laugh at the end, in Japanese: "Harada and Kawakami will pay for everything." Kiyomizu joked. They both react irritated hearing it. Then I guess Sugisaki and Kiyomizu will help me up in choosing what to buy.

   In the café, they only had a small breakfast because they want the room for crepes and more café stuff along the way. I guess they do believe that there isn't that much of a difference from skipping breakfast and having it. You'd only get hungry.

   Everyone bravely steps into Takeshita street. While I'm the shy coward going in. You can clearly see the rainbow through... which already puts it as a lost wonderland. Kiyomizu would think I don't have a recharge for Harajuku energy. So she and Matsuri will grab my hands each to take me to the nearest cat café. Right by the entrance, and I already lost myself. The time that I'm already a customer there. I am now starting the day by purring cats while drinking sweet coffee. Two of my greatest weaknesses because of wholesomeness. It's the mocha cappuccino with cinnamon sprinkles. And I have a cat on my lap, and one on my shoulder. I'm being too warmed up for this. But after we're done, it helped. 

    I was attached with those soft and cute long sleeve shirts in what's called "The Silhouette." I'm given the one with the shark because it feels like Tsundere. But there really is more cute things not just that. Second stop is at WC. Where they sell soft faux fur girl hoodies. I got myself a white one that has the white faux fur. And a scrunchie to wear as pigtails.

    The girls were really a supportive help. Not what you'd think, but just good friends to be accompanied with. I could weirdly feel the girl idol, electro-pop, or retro vibe put into this. Or K-pop perhaps even. But as Sugisaki beckons me to go to a shop with the tall black boots and multi-styled dresses, and a corset; I would think she's beckoning me to shop for more crazier Harajuku stuff. She shows me Visual Kei. The punk style with the black and white style of dressing. I would pass on that one because it's not my style much. But I did choose to but this shirt that is rather hipster looking than punk. But in that minimalist black and white look.

   But I see the giant shop called Alta, I would actually visit there. Alta is where I also brought a nice long skirt. Jean's Mate is also where I brought my new brown coat. Claire's for my hair accessories, CS T&P for my new pairs of shoes with heels and sandals, and Happy Hearts, for a cloche hat, new strap purse, fingerless gloves, and stickers. The girls must've seen I went for the soft fairy-kei style. I'm doing them based on perception angles of Harajuku.

  I have also got new skirts, knee high socks, scarves, and other few punk accessories from AC/DC Rag, and a lil' bit of warm hipster pieces from ANAP Girl.

   I could already hear Kawakami groaning about his wallet, and telling me to stop already. Sugisaki elbows him and tell him to not complain. Or so I thought. They're all so silly like FRIENDS. I guess they could hinder my time, but all I wanna do is have fun. Clarity.

   And for that, I'm deserved a crepe break. The friends follow me to the famous Marion crepes. But just seeing those each alone looks so sweet delicious, and hardworking to make. I get the flamingo one with strawberries and ice cream drizzled in chocolate syrup. It looks very cool. And as I got it, wow it tastes so delicious and sweet.

   It tingles me this scene of tiny me falling into my giant flamingo crepes. Like a dream of sweetness to stuff yourself into. Just the power of love for sweetness you'd feel. With the strawberries, drizzled chocolate syrup, and soft vanilla frosting. Just a wonder to lie relaxing in. I got distracted reminiscing the sweetness taste, aside from finishing it even. So we continue our way ahead.

   After so, is where I decide to start stepping in for every corner around Harajuku that I like. Such as Cute Cube, Etude, To Alice, Solado, Pink Latte, and close by stores in LePonte shopping for sunglasses, face masks, hats, stickers, dark bootleg tees, sweaters, harness straps, chains, and rings. I'll try the boots even. It showed that I have absolutely shopped for all I need.

    But that same alley is where I also tried Gachapon for the first time. And it really felt fun actually. I already did so much today, even the Purikura with everyone. From Matsuri-sensei, to Sugisaki and Kiyomizu, to Harada and Kawakami... we did a lot of what we could do. And we were cringe, but that's the point.

   I am not that organized with my shopping, but who wouldn't like this... even if this is 2021 already? I have to do this because I'm turning 20 in less than a month. Like this should be ticked off from my bucket list. Sugisaki and Kiyomizu had been like those girls that would ask: "So how was it? Was it fun?" Not exactly said as they try to say it in English. But I understand. So I reply to them in my little Japanese.

   Then again, we finish the day so far. I haven't tried out what I have brought yet. Except for the scrunchies. But this has been another good day with them. I'm looking forward to seeing more actually. So I wave bye to them. As well as apologize to Harada and Kawakami for their money spent. They both shook it off saying that Kawakami is just making shopping humor. And so I walk back up north to Shinjuku, with Matsuri guiding me to there as well. Maybe tomorrow I'll expect Matsuri's other group of friends. I couldn't stop but think and ask Matsuri: "How are your friends so nice like that?" Matsuri answers:

"I think the hype was passed on. They're really good friends, so things can be passed on easily. They just got excited now. Like a step of success we could have, because I worked hard for this English and enthusiastic energy for this job."

    "When you leave in the 28th, I want to look forward seeing you again. I would wish you luck and safety traveling back to the Philippines, in advance. I will want to hope, visiting there someday again, maybe seeing you there." Says Matsuri. "I hope so as well." I respond.