Chapter 25: Catch Me

Y/N raced down the hall after Yelena. Though she was fast, they were too. Possibly even a bit faster than her considering how well they kept up, but it may have just been from the adrenaline. There was no way they would let her get away again.

"YELENA!" They yelled.

She continued on refusing to look back. They were down in the street now, weaving between people as they ran. It seemed as though people heard them coming as they went, stepping out of the way before they'd get there.

Yelena cut a quick corner causing Y/N to stumble. They followed after and kept up. More adrenaline kicked in. They can't lose sight of her.

Without a second thought, Y/N had pumped their arms and kicked their legs to get close enough and took the chance. They wrapped their arms around her and tackled her to the ground, turning to take the blow and make sure she was unhurt. 

Furious, Yelena began whipping around and doing her best to free herself from their grip. She's stronger than this... they thought. 

"Yelena, listen to me. Please," They begged.

Tears formed in her eyes as they held tighter. Her emotions were getting the better of her and she wasn't even able to stop them. Slowly, her limbs stopped flailing and she laid still on the ground under them.

The alley they'd gone down was cold and wet but had enough light shining in that Y/N could see her face clearly. She refused to make eye contact but they looked anyway. It tore them to shreds seeing her like this.

"What you saw was not what you think it was. She kissed me just as you all stepped in and I pushed her off. I had just told her I wanted nothing to do with her, that I wanted you."

She shook her head, "You're lying."

"Dammit, Yelena!" They grabbed her face and forced her to look at them. Her eyes were bloodshot, face red from running. They were sick of her not believing them, "I don't want Daisy! I want you!"

Her eyes slowly closed as she tried her best to keep the tears down. Y/N leaned down and kissed her forehead, "It's you, Lena." another kiss on her cheek, "I only want you." Their voice cracked. They were begging, pleading. Please believe me.

She wrapped her arms around them, pulling them close on top of her. Trying to speak, to mutter an apology, her voice cracked. Y/N stopped her, "No. It's okay. Just... just hold on to me. You don't need to say anything."

Y/N sat her up and as they did, she wrapped her arms around their neck and nuzzled her face in. Quiet sobs came from her as they rubbed her back and sat together on the cold floor. A few minutes of this had passed when Yelena finally began to relax. Y/N rubbed her back, trying their best to help.

They pulled back to give her another kiss on her cheek, allowing their lips to linger where they were. Yelena pulled back, nearly meeting her own lips with theirs. She hovered, seemingly questioning what to do. She wanted them and she wanted to trust them, but she still could not get out of her own mind.

Y/N could tell, "What are you thinking, Lena? Let me help you, please."

What was she thinking? How could she possibly tell them the millions of things flying through her head? She rested her forehead on theirs, "I don't know, Y/N..."

They touched her chin with their finger, pulling her eyes to meet theirs. Both of their eyes were glossed with tears they tried so hard to keep in but failed to do so. Leaning in, Y/N went to meet her lips and prayed she fall into theirs.

To their luck, she did. Though the kiss did not last long, it was enough. Y/N felt that was enough to show there was hope.

"I can't do this, Y/N." but maybe there wasn't. Yelena rested her forehead on theirs when she pulled away, not ready to put much distance between them yet.

"Please don't say that..." they pleaded. Y/N was willing to do anything to help if only she'd let them.

She stood from where they sat and helped them to their feet. "I just need time but I don't want you to wait for me."

"I will-"

"No, Y/N. You won't. I won't let you. I don't know if I'll be able to give you what you deserve." Her head shook as her gaze fell to their feet. It was true. Yelena had never even really had friends and now was thrown into possibly having a full-blown relationship?

She wasn't ready and she knew that. She just needed Y/N to understand as well. It wasn't them and it was nothing they did. God, they were perfect! All she could think about was how perfect they were. Patient and understanding. Loving and supportive. She felt as though she couldn't even amount to half a percent of what they deserved. "Please just- just move on, or try to. I don't know, but don't wait for me."

Their hope was slowly fading. If there was anything Yelena had been consistent with during this fit was her thought of not being ready. They couldn't decide if she just needed that bit of push or genuine time to be ready.

"Are you sure that's what you need? Because Yelena..." They took her hands in theirs as she kept her eyes glued to the ground, "I can help you. We can get through this together, but if you truly need time... I will wait."

All I want is you, is what she wanted to say, to curl up in your arms, to be yours forever. Her chest expanded, I want nothing more than all of you, all the time.

But she couldn't. It didn't feel right. She wanted them, but she refused to hurt them. "I'm sure, Y/N."

With that, they nodded and pulled her into one last hug. Their eyes closed tightly as they wrapped their arms around her. "I'll respect your wishes." They didn't want to. They wanted to continue begging, to continue pleading and telling her that they could get through this together.

Y/N was patient. They could go through a relationship with Yelena and teach her. There was nothing she could do that would push them away. Even now, standing here in the alley, all they wanted was her.

There was one last lingering thought that they wished to say... To tell her that they were falling for her, that they might be falling in love. Yelena was rough around the edges, but she was gentle. There was a sweetness about her that made Y/N fall deeper each time they touched.

But they couldn't. It would only make everything harder, for her and for them.

So, they walked back to the hotel, brushing hands as they went but not letting it go further than that. It seemed that they would go on as friends from here and Y/N would just have to accept it. No matter how deeply they felt for her, they would have to tuck it away.

And though she said not to wait, they knew they would, for they still believed this wasn't the end. One more look at her before they stepped through the door of their room.

They saw her in a gown, at an altar, across from them. They saw kids in a yard and a white dog running around with them. They saw light and happiness. They saw a life, a normal life, and Yelena right beside them. They saw their dreams coming together for the first time in their life and it was all revolved around the woman who stood in front of them.

I'll have that with her if it's the last thing I do.