Chapter 27: The Clock

"Yelena,

There's no easy way to start this letter. I don't really even know how to say this, but I'm going home. By the time you start reading, I will have probably made it to the US. I called Nick and had a Quinjet sent so that I could leave quickly and safely.

I wanted to wake you to say goodbye, but I know you would've stopped me. It would've made everything harder. I had to leave. I know that, you know that. You and Nat are doing so well and the last thing you needed was a distraction to ruin your mission.

And like you said, you need time. Time I can't give you if I stay. Time I can't give you if I have to spend every waking moment looking at that beautiful face. But please don't mistake this for anything other than that. I'll be in the US, but I'll be waiting. When you finish this mission, I'll be in NYC. Waiting for you.

I've fallen for you, Lena. I can't stop, I don't want to, and I won't. I told you I'd wait and I meant it whether you like it or not. So, good luck with the rest of your mission. I'll see you when you've freed all the Widows, just like you planned. I believe in you.

Forever yours,
Y/N"

Tears streaked down Yelena's face as she finished the letter. Before she knew it, a sob erupted from her mouth. Nat was by her side in a second, pulling her in and holding her tight.

"Why did they have to go?" She cried out.

Nat held on tighter, "You know why."

It wasn't an easy decision. Y/N didn't want to leave her. They didn't want to spend any time away from her side, but it would be torturous to the both of them to spend time like this together. It might even be to their detriment and Y/N couldn't take any chances.

"I have to go after them," she replied as she stood from their bed.

"You can't and you won't," Nat grabbed her wrists. "Y/N did the right thing. We need to finish what you started and we also need to work on you. I'm not leaving you, Yelena. Not again."

Those words were ones Yelena had dreamed of hearing from her big sister for years. All she'd ever wanted was Nat back and here she was, refusing to let her go again.

"I love you so much, you know?" Yelena cried as she sat back on the bed.

Nat pulled her little sister in again. "I love you more than words can explain. I promise we'll get you through this, together. I'll get you home to Y/N and you'll be able to have the life you dreamed of."

"What if I don't get there? What if I realize that I'll never be enough for them?"

"Don't ever say that again," Nat sat back so that Yelena could see her stern face, "You are more than enough. I know it, Y/N knows it, we just need you to know it."

Yelena's head dropped. She didn't want them to leave, but maybe they were right. Maybe being around each other 24/7 would just make it all harder. Maybe it would ruin the one shot at this that they had.

"Maybe you won't end up with Y/N." Nat started as Yelena looked up confused, "But I know they'll always care about you and support you. Maybe you end up with them, but maybe they were just a set to help you prepare for something else."

She nodded. It's not easy to figure this out, but she was thankful Y/N cared about them enough to do this. It couldn't have been easy to leave, especially after the day they had yesterday.