- nine -

Finally came the lesson the Gryiffindor's had been waiting for. Defence Against the Dark Arts.
It couldn't have come at a better time.
Quinn and Hermione had not stopped ranting about Snape since he tried to snuff Trevor.
"That's the last time I bring Bosola into a Potions lesson, Snape may try to turn him into a pile of dragon dung!"
"That pasty wanker shouldn't be allowed to look after a mandrake, yet alone a room of kids!"

Harry and Ron thought it best to separate the two seething girls when they got to their classroom. That way they couldn't scheme over Snape's demise and would hopefully calm down.

'C'mon Sunshine," said Harry, taking Quinn's wrist. "You're sitting with me."

Quinn pouted slightly. "But 'Mione and I were gonna plan a way to frame Snape for something and get him fired."

Harry sat down and pulled Quinn to sit next to him, slightly disturbed by her manic grin. "How about you sit with me, and later on we'll find a way to dye his hair purple?"

Quinn hummed for a moment and tilted her head to the side as she considered Harry's offer. "Make it pink and glittery instead and you have a deal!" The two shook on it.
They took out their books and waited for Professor Lupin. Quinn took out her sketchbook, and began to draw while she waited. She was in the middle of designing a winter dress while Harry watched. It was pastel blue with belle sleeves, and the skirt ended around the knees. She was about to add a couple of cloud-shaped pockets when Lupin finally entered.

He smiled vaguely and put his tatty old briefcase on the teacher's desk. He was as shabby as ever but looked healthier than he had on the train. Quinn assumed it was because he was finally getting proper meals.

"Good afternoon," he said. "Would you please put all your books into your bags. Today we'll be having a practical lesson. You will need your wands only."

The class exchanged curious glances but did as told. Quinn shoved her books and gel pens away hurriedly and grabbed her wand, practically bouncing in her seat in excitement. She loved practical lessons, and despised writing. It was why she excelled in Transfiguration and Charms but struggled with History of Magic. Harry was slightly more sceptical. The only time they had ever had a practical DADA lesson it was when Lockhart had bought a cage of Cornish Piskies and set them loose.

"Right then," said Professor Lupin, when everyone was ready. "If you'd follow me."

Puzzled but interested, the class got to their feet and followed Professor Lupin out of the classroom.

"I like him already!" Ron grinned, throwing his arm over Harry's shoulder. "His lessons seem like they'll actually be interesting."

"We go to a magic school Ronald," said Hermione. She linked her arm with Quinn and gave Ron a bewildered look. "I don't understand how you don't find all of it interesting."

Professor Lupin led them along the deserted corridor and around a corner, where the first thing they saw was Peeves the Poltergeist. The troublesome ghost was floating upside down in midair and stuffing the nearest keyhole with chewing gum.

Peeves didn't look up until Professor Lupin was two feet away; then he wiggled his curly-toed feet and broke into song.

"Loony, loopy Lupin," Peeves sang. "Loony, loopy Lupin, loony, loopy Lupin -"

Rude and unmanageable as he almost always was, Peeves usually showed some respect towards the teachers. Everyone looked quickly at Lupin to see his reaction. To their surprise, he was still smiling.

"I'd take that gum out of the keyhole if I were you, Peeves," he said pleasantly. "Mr Filch won't be able to get into his brooms."

Fitch was the Hogwarts caretaker, a bad-tempered, failed wizard who waged a constant war against the students (particularly the elder Weasley twins) and, indeed, Peeves. However, Peeves paid no attention to Professor Lupin's words, except to blow a loud wet raspberry.