- fourteen -

The Gryffindors were sent to the Great Hall, where they were soon joined by the other houses, all looking sleepy and confused.

"The teachers and I need to conduct a thorough search of the castle," Dumbledore informed them, as McGonagall and Flitwick secured the doors closed. "I'm afraid that, for your own safety, you will have to spend the night here. I want the prefects to stand guard over the entrances to the Hall and I am leaving the head boy and girl in charge. Any disturbance should be reported to me immediately," he added to Percy, who was looking immensely proud and important. "Send word with one of the ghosts."

Dumbledore turned to leave.

"Are we expected to just sleep on the floor?" Quinn whispered to Hermione, who had latched onto the ginger girl since Harry had let her go.

"Oh yes," Dumbledore paused. "You'll be needing..."

One causal wave of his wand sent the tables rushing to the edge of the hall, their legs, scuttling like strange beetles.

'That was... interesting," said Hermione looking at the tables, now stood against the walls, reproachfully.

Another wave of Dumbledore's wand, and the floor was covered with squashy purple sleeping bags.

"Cosy," said Harry, looking at the sleeping bags in interest.

"Sleep well," said Dumbledore, closing the door behind him.

'Goodnight," Quinn called before the door closed fully.

The hall immediately began to buzz, excitedly; the Gryffindors telling the rest of the school what had just happened.

"Everyone into their sleeping bags!" Shouted Percy. "Come on, now, no more talking! Lights out in ten minutes!"

Ron and Quinn rolled their eyes, and the group seized four sleeping bags and dragged them into a corner.

"Do you think Black's still in the castle?" Hermione whispered nervously.

"Dumbledore obviously thinks he might be," said Ron.

"It's very lucky he picked tonight, you know," said Hermione. She looked at clothes and frowned, trying to remember the spell to transform them into pajamas.

"How come?" Asked Quinn, muttering a spell over herself which turned her Halloween themed clothes into a comfy dalmatian onesie. She then did the same spell for Hermione, so she was wearing a black cat onesie.

"Thanks Quinn," Hermione said. "It's lucky he chose the one night we weren't in the tower..."

Ron and Harry shared a look, deciding they couldn't be bothered to try and transform their clothes, and got into their sleeping bags.

"I reckon he's lost track of time, being on the run," said Ron. "Didn't realise it was Halloween. Otherwise he'd have come bursting in here."

Hermione shuddered.

Quinn climbed into her own sleeping bag and turned on her back to face the ceiling. The stars shone brightly, with no clouds in sight to dull their glow.

"I'm not sure," said Quinn slowly. "Mad or not, I don't think Black would have come in here. Surely he knows Dumbledore and McG would have disintegrated him on the spot."

Harry, who was next to Quinn, reached across and took her hand in his. Taking comfort in her cool touch, and the feeling of her even colder rings.

"The lights are going out now!" Percy shouted. "I want everyone in their sleeping bags and no more talking!"

"He's loving this authority shit way too much," Ron groaned.

The candles all went out at once. The only light now came from the silvery ghosts, and the twinkling stars. Quinn decided to stay facing the ceiling so she could see the light instead of having to face the dark hall. She also took comfort in feeling the weight of Bosola, who had tangled himself up in her hair. She knew it was gonna be a pain in the arse in the morning to untangle him from her curls, but at that moment all she cared about was that he was with her, and not alone in her room like he could have been.