chapt 16 • Distant

Sleep hadn't come easily last night, what made it worse was Adeline knocking at my door at such an early time only for a mandatory room check

I wasn't able to find sleep after that and went into trying to study for lectures I had in the evening. Only for those to be canceled due to Professor's being in meetings for the entire day.

After I turned down the academy's offer to seek counseling, they set up a meeting with the academy's priest instead. A man who seemed to think he knows more about my life than I did.

"I've learned to accept my "sins", there's nothing to be ashamed of. Why be ashamed of something I didn't ask for? Instead, I should be embracing it, noit no?" The man sat there with his leg crossed over the other, a bible in hand laying over it.

"Embracing something that's corrupted you at such a young age?" I snap my eyes up from the duvet on my lap to him, he hasn't written anything down, his notebook sits on the side of him.

"None of you understand, do you? My nymphomania didn't corrupt me... it was probably what made it all"— My words are cut off by the sound of the timer, the hour is over.

"Honey I can add another hour if you want to finish your"—

"I don't need another hour, I'm done speaking about this" I grab my bag, pushing the small pillow to the left of me and walk over to the door.

"Before you go," My hand pauses on the doorknob, "You're welcome to confess anything to me, Honey, though it is my job to listen to your confessions, it is also my job to keep what we speak about between the two of us"

"There is nothing more to say" I add on before shutting the door, leaving the second building.

I have to meet with him once a week and confess something dear to me to him, he says each confession would bring me closer to forgiveness and faith. I wasn't sure how much of that I truly believed.

Everyone seemed to think I wanted to be rid of my nymphomania and sometimes that was the case.. Other times I liked to think it was the only connection I had with my mother.

I shut the door to my room, dropping my bag on the bed and ridding myself of my clothes. Turning on a bath and adding raspberry-scented bubbles to fill the bathroom with its delightful scent.

Sometimes I wish I could ask her millions of questions about her stay at Hartford, who and what exactly drove her away from everything.

I let memories of her fade away and memories of previous days rain in.

I skimmed my fingers over my lips, remembering the soft and perfect ones that were recently on mine the day before.

Thinking about Alessio reminded me that he had been excused from all lectures today, due to him being sick. I hadn't even seen him in the halls or prayer lectures, his seat was empty in every lecture that we shared with each other.