Chapter 23

A/N

Last chapter of Book 1!

◇ ◇ ◇

Katara

"I can't believe I lost them" I said, looking to the ground. "You did everything you could. And now we need to do everything we can to get them back. Zuko can't have gotten far. We'll find him. Mira and Aang are gonna be fine" Sokka tried to reassure me. I sighed and stood up.

"Okay." I put on my parka and got onto Appa. "It's alright. You stay here, Momo. In case Aang and Mira come back" I told the lemur.

◇ ◇ ◇

Mira

Aang and I stood up and looked around at the swamp surrounding us. I turned my head to see a monkey like spirit sitting under a tree.

"Hello? We're sorry to disturb you. We just really need to find the moon and the ocean spirits" Aang said as we stood infront of the spirit. "Go away."

The spirit opened one of his eyes and raised an eyebrow. "You're still here?" He said with a surprised look. "Yes, we need-" I began but the spirit closed his eyes, ignoring us.

"Perhaps that thing will help you. Chase it!" The spirit told us as he pointed at a blue light. Aang and I started running after the light and followed it up onto a tree. Aang caught the light in his hands and the branch under us suddenly disintegrated. Both of us screamed as we dropped into the water.

"Come back!" Aang exclaimed as the light faded away. Suddenly, we heard a voice and we looked down to see Kairi and a man who I presumed was Roku. "Hello, Aang" Roku said.

"Hello, Mira. It's good to see you again" Kairi said with a smile. Aang and I looked down in shock at our past lives. "Roku?!" Aang asked. "Kairi?!" I said in a surprised tone.

"Roku, Kairi, the Water Tribe is under attack!" Aang explained. "We need to find the moon and ocean spirits to help us" I said. Kairi and Roku's reflection then turned into a more realistic form.

"The ocean and the moon are ancient spirits. They crossed over from the spirit world to the mortal world very near the beginning" Roku told us. "There is only one spirit I know of who is old enough to remember' Kairi said.

"Who?" Aang asked quickly. "The spirit's name is Koh, but he is very dangerous. They call him 'the face stealer'. When you speak with him, you must be very careful to show no emotion at all, not the slightest expression, or he will steal your face" Kairi said. I shivered at the thought of someone stealing faces. I turned to Aang who looked equally terrified.

"But there is nothing to worry about as long as you are calm. Good luck." The previous Avatar and Guardian disappeared and Aang and I turned to eachother. "I guess we have to find that spirit" Aang said.

The two of us exchanged scared looks and we then went to find Koh. We stopped in front of Koh's cave and my heart beat sped up. We then heard a few noises coming from inside and I held my breath. A monkey then appeared and I let out exhaled.

"Oh, it's just a cute curly-tailed bluenose." I smiled. My face then turned to one of horror as the faceless bluenose spun around. I heard Aang gasp and I closed my eyes. "Okay. Stay calm and don't show any emotion" I said to myself.

Aang and I walked inside of the cave and down a long set of stairs. "Hello? We're looking for a spirit named Koh" Aang called out as we walked through the cave. Suddenly, Koh appeared in front of us but Aang and I remained emotionless.

"Welcome" Koh said. Aang and I looked up at the spirit. He looked like a mix between a spider and a caterpillar which was terrifying. However, Aang and I bowed to the spirit. "My old friends, the Avatar and the Guardian. It's been a long time."