Chapter 38

"We need to figure out what we're going to do next" I said. We were staying on an island in the middle of the lake as we were hiding from the Dai Li and Long Feng.

"Look, we escaped from the Dai Li, we got Appa back, I'm telling you, we should go to the Earth King now and tell him our plan. We're on a roll" Sokka said.

"One good hour after weeks of trouble isn't much of a roll" Katara told her brother. "We can build on it. If we want to invade the Fire Nation when the eclipse happens, we need the support of the Earth King" Sokka reminded us.

"What makes you think we'll get it? I don't know if you've noticed but things don't usually go that smoothly for our little gang" Toph said. "I know but I've got a good feeling about this. This time will be different" Sokka told us.

"Sokka, Long Feng is in control of the city. His conspiracy with the Dai Li is too powerful. I think we should just keep flying and leave this horrible place behind us." Katara frowned at her brother.

"I'm with Sweetness. I've seen enough of Ba Sing Se and I can't even see!" Toph exclaimed. "But now that we have Appa back, there's nothing stopping us from telling the Earth King the truth about the conspiracy and the war." Aang walked over to us.

"See, Aang's with me. Its the whole reason we came here in the first place, we have to try" Sokka said. Katara once again frowned and they all looked at me.

"I think we should risk it. If the Earth King doesn't believe us we can just leave. Like Aang said, Long Feng doesn't have anything on us now that we have Appa back" I told them.

Katara sighed.

"Well, I guess if the Earth King knew the truth, things could change" Katara said. "I don't trust the new positive Sokka. Long Feng brainwashed you, didn't he?!" Toph yelled, pointing an accusing finger at Sokka.

We all stayed silent and turned when we heard the sound of ships in the water. I spotted a few Earth Kingdom boats and turned back to the group.

"That's the Dai Li searching for us. Katara, Toph, what do you say?" I asked looking between the two.

"Let's fly."

◇ ◇ ◇

"Can we please buy a new saddle?! Riding bareback is terrifying!" Toph shouted out as she held onto Appa's fur tightly.

"There it is. That whole thing is the palace. The Earth King's chamber should be in the center" Sokka explained. "You really did your research, huh?" I commented. I earned a smile in return.

"We have to be careful. Long Feng's probably warned the king that we're coming" Katara said. "Why would you assume that? If you ask me, I think we're just gonna sail right—" Sokka cut himself short with a scream as a rock flew past us.

"What was that?!" Toph yelled out. "Surface to-air rocks! More incoming!" Sokka replied.

A rock was about to hit us when Aang simply punched through it with his hand.

My eyes widened. Sometimes I forgot how powerful that kid really was.

Appa flew closer to the ground and Aang jumped down, earthbending at a hundred soldiers. They all fell to the ground screaming.

Appa landed on the ground and we jumped down. A couple of soldiers bended rocks at us and I kicked away the ones coming in my direction.

Katara used her waterbending to push the soldiers away.

"Sorry!" She apologised to them. She accidentally hit Sokka and he fell to the ground with a grunt. I helped him up and we continued running towards the palace.