Chapter 40

5 weeks ago

Sokka

"Sokka, you have to eat something and get some fresh air. You've been sitting by Mira's side for days. I know you want to be there for her when she wakes up but this isn't good for you" Katara told me as she healed Mira's wound.

There was a large scar stretching across Mira's lower back and Katara came in everyday to ease Mira's pain with her healing.

"I know, Katara" I told her, harshly. The two of us sat in silence until she was finished. There was an understanding between me and everyone on board the Fire Navy ship we captured.

No one bothered me as long as I didn't bother them. I did my own thing and they did their's.

◇ ◇ ◇

Present

Mira

I felt a sharp pain in my back and I flinched. I slowly opened my eyes and groaned at the brightness of the room.

I felt like I hadn't opened my eyes in weeks. I sat up and looked around. My eyes suddenly widened when I realised that I was on a Fire Navy ship.

I tried to stand but the pain in my body kept me on the bed. I suddenly heard footsteps approaching and I sucked in a breath, ready to find out who had taken me onto the ship.

The door opened, revealing a man in a Fire Nation uniform with a helmet covering his face. I was unable to identify him and I quickly picked up one of the pillows on my bed to protect myself.

The tray the man was holding dropped to the ground and he crossed the room in a few steps.

"Stay away from me" I croaked out, placing the pillow in front of me. The man paused and took off his helmet. My frown dropped and a wide smile appeared on my face when I saw who it was. "Sokka!" I exclaimed.

"Mira! You're awake! No, don't move! You'll hurt yourself!" Sokka quickly said as I was about to stand up to hug him. "Alright, just help me up" I said.

He helped me stand and I could barely walk on my own.

"The others are upstairs. We've been waiting for you and Aang to wake up for weeks" Sokka explained. "What do you mean weeks? How long has it been since the fight in Ba Sing Se?" I asked him.

"Okay, don't get a heartattack from the shock or anything. But it's been five weeks since you and Aang fell into a coma" Sokka told me. My eyes widened as I stared at him. "No, that can't be right. Are you sure? But how? What do you mean Aang and I fell into a coma? What happened?!" I asked.

We were nearing the deck of the ship and Sokka gave me a concerned look.

"Mira, its okay—" Sokka began but my breathing became faster. "No, it's not okay. I just found out that I've been in a coma for five weeks and I have no idea how!"

"Katara is on the deck with the others, she will explain what happened" Sokka told me. I took in a deep breath, calming myself down. We neared that top step up to the deck and all I could feel was the pain in my back.

"Mira! You're awake!" Katara and Toph ran up to me and I quickly placed a hand out in front of myself before Katara could hug me. "My back hurts. So no hugs" I told her, managing a weak smile.

I saw Aang behind her and smiled at him. He looked tired and he had . . . hair?

"I like your hair" I told him. His eyes went wide. "I have hair?!" He exclaimed.

"Yeah, it must've grown when you were unconscious. By the way, I like your hair Mira. Sokka did a really good job cutting it" Katara said. My own eyes widened and I immediately reached up to feel my hair. It was about shoulder length but it was short compared to my waist length hair.