Chapter 38

October. A month I had been dreading since I talked to Foyet several months back. Every day I woke up fearing for Jack, fearing for our relationship.

    Today was the official day. October 7th, Jack's 18th birthday. The day Foyet said would destroy Jack.

   I woke up to the sound of knocking at the door. I was staying at the Hotchner home for his birthday party later that day. I heard Jack open the door and I jumped up. I just had this gut feeling telling me it was the letter.

   I quickly walked down the stairs and saw Jack looking through the mail. He then got a package. It had Jack's name boldly written on it. He was just about to open it when he noticed me at the railing.

   "Morning Mads." He smiled.

   "Happy Birthday, love!" I walked down the stairs and took the package from his hand. I could feel the disc in the package and the fear grew in me.

   "What are you doing?" He asked.

   "You can't open this." I sternly spoke.

   "Why? it's addressed to me." Jack muttered.

   "Y-You just shouldn't open it." I stuttered, shaking my head.

  "Madeline, what are you not telling me? Give me the package." He reached for it and I moved it out of reach.

  "Jack, I'm sorry but you can't open this."

 "Ok, what is going on with you?"

  "Nothing."

   "Are you cheating on me? Is this evidence to prove it."

   "What? No, where did you get that conclusion from?"

  "You have been sneaking around. Acting very off."

 "I have not!" Shock and pain rose to my chest. Tears wanted to flow but I wouldn't let them.

   "Yes, you have been. So who is the guy? Is he better than me?" Jack shouted.

  "I have never cheated on you. I love you!" I yelled.

 "Whatever. Have fun finding a ride to work." He shouted, running up the stairs to his room.

   He walked back out and threw my clothes I was planning on wearing down the stairs. I quickly changed and got in my car Jack forgot I owned. I got my case files situated in my bag and left. I saw Jack pull out just a few seconds after me and somehow we still arrived at the BAU at the same time.

  We stood in the elevator in silence. Once we got out we walked into the BAU. The team instantly stared at us. Noticing Jack didn't open the door for me and we didn't hold hands on the way in. I threw most of my stuff on my desk and so did Jack. I heard the team whispering about us but I ignored them.

   Jack and I walked up the stairs and once at the top we went our separate ways. Jack went to his dad's office and I went to Rossi's. I slammed his door shut and just slid down the door. I broke down.

  "Madeline, what's wrong?" Rossi asked.

   "I'll tell you later." I said, running into Rossi's arms crying.

   I calmed down and I still hadn't told him what happened. I was reading a book for one of my college classes and Rossi was working on a case file when Hotch walked in.

   "We got a case." I nodded and got up. Hotch stayed behind and talked with Rossi.

   Jack was the first person in the room. He was sitting in Prentiss' typical seat beside Hotch. I decided to steal Morgan's seat beside Rossi and my dad. When the team walked in they were shocked seeing me and Jack not sitting beside each other. Prentiss took Jack's old seat that was still beside Hotch and Morgan took my old seat beside Reid. Rossi was sitting across from Jack.