32

May 3, 2013

It had been an...interesting...few weeks. They didn't really acknowledge anything. They just went on with their lives as normal. They didn't talk about anything, they just went on with their lives like nothing happened. But it was different. Annabel was now eating meals with Fleetwood Mac. She was traveling with them and Stevie started mothering...it was as simple as fixing a stray piece of hair, adjusting her shirt for her, taking her plate from her after green room dinners. Not to mention, Annabel was getting ready in the dressing room with her mother. Lindsey had suggested that, because a man in his mid sixties and his daughter in her mid twenties do not need to be sharing a dressing room. 

Annabel was wearing a peach colored maxi dress. It had a slit up to her hip on her left side a deep v-neck and a long bell sleeves. She had her blonde waves down her back and she had braided the sides of her hair back. She was finishing up her touches to her makeup when Stevie came up behind her. 

"Hey, what's up?" Annabel asks.

"What size are you?" She asks chewing on her thumbnail. 

"In what context?" 

"Shoes." 

"Six." She answers.

Stevie smiled and then she went over to her stuff. Annabel cocked an eyebrow and watched as Stevie carried over her really old clog sandals. The shoes she was wearing in the race car pictures. 

"I haven't worn these shoes in years...If you'd like to wear them tonight, I think they'd look good with your dress." She shrugs.

"If you haven't worn them, why did you bring them?" Annabel asks taking the shoes from her mother, because she was sure as hell going to wear them...They weren't her protective platform boots, by any means but she absolutely loved them. 

"I just keep them in my case." She points to the giant red road case where her costumes were spilling out. 

"Thanks mom." Annabel smiles bending down to situated them on her feet. 

"It's surprising." Stevie smiles at her taking her hand, once the shoes have been placed on her feet.

"What is?" 

"How much like me you actually are even though I didn't have any part in raising you." She says sadly. 

"That's the funny part..." Annabel plops down on the couch, Stevie joining her shortly after. 

"What is." 

"You kinda did raise me...my parents weren't around...I mean Edith was a social worker so she would get calls all the time and she'd have to go to work. She left during my talent show once because she needed to go pick a baby up at a forestation. Mike, was home...but he was a judge he was supposed to work 9-5, but there'd be times when a case would run late and he'd get home around 7:30. I watched a lot of MTV. Listened to a lot of Fleetwood Mac, and Stevie Nicks...there was just something drawing me to your music." 

"Edith..." Stevie cocks her head.

"Yeah, Edith Marie Charleston-Bekker." 

"I know that name..." Stevie's hand goes to her daughter's shoulder. 

"What do you mean you know that name?" 

"Karen...go get Lindsey, I know that name...why do I know that name?" She shakes her head. 

When Lindsey gets into the dressing room, he looks at Stevie. 

"What's up?" 

"Edith Charleston..." 

"That was the social worker that took Annabel why?" Lindsey asks...he remembered that day vividly and that name he'd never forget that name...It wasn't the most common in the world. 

"Wait..what?" Annabel asks.

"Yeah, the woman that took you from us introduced herself as Edith Charleston..." Lindsey nods.

"Daddy, Edith Charleston-Bekker, was my adoptive mother." Annabel looks at him with narrowed eyes. 

Stevie and Lindsey look at each other and then they look at Annabel and the three of them just stare in an awkward Bermuda Triangle for a few seconds.

"My adoption was illegal wasn't it?" Annabel breaks the silence.

"I-I Don't know...with that much cocaine in your system when you were born, I failed my drug test the state had to take you from us...but I don't think, it was ever reported if you were adopted by the social worker who took you." 

"Mike's name was signed on the judge line on my adoption certificate." Annabel shakes her head biting her thumb. "What do we do?" 

"Okay, Annabel breathe...you're freaking yourself out...It doesn't matter, you're 26 years old...And they're dead." Lindsey tells her.

"But daddy, if my life was a lie I want to rectify it...I..." 

"Okay, we'll talk about it later, you need to go on stage and perform okay...do you want your dad and I to go out and sit side stage?" Stevie asks taking her daughter's hands and centering the young girl.

"Yes please." She nods her eyes wide. She was almost frozen. 

"Okay, let me put some shoes on." Stevie nods pushing herself off of the couch. 

As she passes by Lindsey, she grabs his hand and the two of them share a look...tonight, was going to change things. In a lot of different ways. They both knew that, but they didn't know how. 

By the time they got out to the hall, Annabel saw the Tequila on the table and she took two shots compared to her usual one and then she shook herself out of it. Lindsey and Stevie made themselves comfortable side stage and Annabel was cued up to walk out. 

By her third song, she had gotten into the groove of things, and she finally spoke to the crowd who had semi-settled.

"Hey everyone, I'm Annabel...I've been opening for Fleetwood Mac on some select dates, um, I found something out before I came onstage and honestly the scenario is a perfect leeway to this song...because let's just say...Shit's about to go down. This is Something Bad." 

Stand on the box
Stomp your feet
Start clappin'
I got a real good feelin' somethin' bad is 'bout to happen

Pulled up to the church
But I got so nervous, had to back it on up
Couldn't make it to the service
Grabbed all the cash underneath my mattress
I got a real good feelin' somethin' bad  'bout to happen

Ran into a girl in a pretty white dress
Rolled down the window, where you headin' to next
Said I'm headin' to the bar, with my money out the mattress
I got a real good feelin' somethin' bad is 'bout to happen

Stand on the box
Stomp your feet
Start clappin'
I got a real good feelin' somethin' bad 'bout to happen
Drinks keep comin', throw my head back laughin'
Wake up in the mornin', don't know what happened
Oh, somethin' bad
Oh, somethin' bad

Now me and that girl that I met on the street
We rollin' down the road down to the New Orleans
Got full tank gas and the money out the mattress
I got a real good feelin' somethin' bad 'bout to happen

'Bout to tear it up down in New Orleans
Just like a real-life Thelma and Louise
If the cops catch up, they're gonna call it kidnappin'
I got a real good feelin' somethin' bad is 'bout to happen

Stand on the box
Stomp your feet
Start clappin'
I got a real good feelin' somethin' bad 'bout to happen
Drinks keep comin', throw my head back laughin'
Wake up in the mornin', don't know what happened
Oh, somethin' bad
Oh, somethin' bad

Stand on the box
Stomp your feet
Start clappin'
I got a real good feelin' somethin' bad is 'bout to happen
Drinks keep comin', throw my head back laughin'
Wake up in the mornin', don't know what happened
Oh, somethin' bad
Oh, somethin' bad