42

December 24, 2013

 Lindsey had loomed himself up against the counter and was staring out at the patio. Annabel and Jessica were laughing about something and he could see that his guitar, the one he had given her at Christmas three years ago was on her lap. 

"What are you looking at?" Stevie asks wrapping her arms around his waist laying her head on his bicep.

"She's beautiful Steph." He shakes his head. "Looks just like her mother." 

She smirks and lightly giggles. "We're a family Linds. We finally get to be the family that we wanted to be." 

"You know I think about the day she was born a lot." He shakes his head.

"Why?" 

"I don't know what it was like for you. And this is going to come of sounding awful so just hang in there...but you were in so much pain. You were like drenched in sweat you were moaning and miserable and every time the doctor would do what it is, he needed to do between your legs you'd shriek and cry and I felt horrible watching it happen because I was completely useless...Kristen had three c-sections, she went through a different pain than you did...but god Steph it was worth it. Watching you in pain like that was worth it." He shakes his head

"Oh so you like it when I'm in pain." She jokes. 

"But was it worth it though?" He looks at her. 

"Yeah, yeah it was. She's an angel Lindsey...our little Angel." 

"No, you're my Angel...she's our Baby Belle." He kisses her head.

"She was a gift to us...and it sucks that we lost her, but she's a great young lady and as much as it hurt to not have access to my daughter, as much as I missed her and would cry over it made her who she is, and by the grace of God, she was brought back to us. I'll honestly never be able to thank William enough because at the end of the day it was him that brought her back to us." Stevie rubs his back. 

Lindsey was going to say something again when he back patio door opened up and Jessica and Annabel came back into the living room. 

"Are you tired of the porch?" Lindsey asks.

"I saw a bluebird daddy." Annabel smiles. 

"Oh yeah." Lindsey nods.

"And I started thinking about the song I wrote last time I was in Hawaii." Annabel tells him.

"Did you ever finish that song?" Lindsey asks.

"I did, but I never played it." Annabel tells him.

"And I, being the awesome cousin that I am, got her to play it so we need to call everyone down to the living room." Jessica tells them.

"Well yell." Stevie holds her hand up in the air as a co-ahead signal. 

Jessica calls out, and very slowly the inhabitants of that house, Christopher, Lori, Glen Perrish, Callias Perish, Paul Fishkin, Molly Fishkin, Karen Johnston, Kelly-Anne, all of those people that hang around Stevie filtered in. Annabel still was not getting along with Karen, Kelly-Anne was causing her problems too, because Stevie informed her that she had to move out of the pool house when Lindsey and Annabel moved in, in the new year. 

"What you up too little bird?" Christopher asks coming in and kissing Jessica's head and then Annabel's. 

"Little Bird? Who the fuck are you talking to?" Jessica asks.

"When Aunt Stevie was little, she couldn't say Stephanie..." Christopher starts.

"I know she used to call herself Teedee, the whole world knows that." Jessica rolls her eyes. 

"And Grandma Barb, used to call her, Teedee Bird..." Christopher states.

"Like Tweedy Bird?" Annabel cocks her head to the side. 

"Exactly, because your mother was obsessed with the Looney Tunes. If I recall correctly, they started piecing together a Looney Tunes nursery for you, because in the eighties there wasn't a way to find out if it was a boy or a girl and Looney Tunes could've gone for both. I called you Little Bird, because you my dear a miniature version of our resident Teedee Bird." He puts his hand on Stevie's shoulder and hits it kind of hard, like a brother does. And Like a sister, she returned the wack with her elbow right to his stomach. 

"I like it." Annabel smiles.

"Do you, well I have a new nickname for you." Chris winks.

"Anyway, I wanted to play you guys a song. I wrote it here in Hawaii about three-four years ago now, and daddy...I've been thinking about this a lot. I kind of, I kind of want to go in and record an album and I kinda want this to be the title track." She shrugs lightly.

"You do, really?" Lindsey asks.

"I don't think I'll ever tour because I really hate touring and I'll only ever go out when Fleetwood Mac does, but I just want to try it, see how it goes." She tells him.

"I think we can make it work, well...go on, play it." Lindsey urges her.

She beams and then she sits herself down on the brown leather couch and she starts strumming the guitar. 

Yeah, I'm a turner
I turn pages all the time
Don't like where I'm at, 34 was bad
So I just turn to 35

Yeah, I'm a keeper
I keep digging down for the deep
Like the records I'm playing
They might keep you waiting
But you know I'm gonna play 'em for keeps

And if the house just keeps on winning
I got a wildcard up my sleeve
And if love keeps giving me lemons
I'll just mix 'em in my drink
And if the whole wide world stops singing
And all the stars go dark
I'll keep a light on in my soul
Keep a bluebird in my heart

Well, I'm a giver
Yeah, and I'm still giving 'em hell
Forgiving's pretty hard
So I made an art out of forgettin' 'em well

Yeah, I'm a rhymer
I can turn twenty cents into a ten
And if I get confused, and I start to lose
I rhyme a dime 'til it all makes sense

And if the house just keeps on winning
I got a wildcard up my sleeve
And if love keeps giving me lemons
I'll just mix 'em in my drink
And if the whole wide world stops singing
And all the stars go dark
I turn the light on in my soul
And keep a bluebird in my heart

Ooh, ooh

And if the house just keeps on winning

I got a wildcard up my sleeve
And if love starts giving me lemons
Just mix 'em in my drink
And if the whole wide world stops singing
And all the stars go dark
I'll keep the light on in my soul
Keep a bluebird in my heart
I'll keep a light on in my soul
Keep a bluebird in my heart
Ooh
And the bluebird sings
Ooh

 She smiled as she sang and when she stopped strumming her guitar a quiet applause broke out around her. 

"Beautiful baby." Stevie smiles going over and holding her tightly. And as Lindsey watched Stevie hugging Annabel he decided that his family was complete and as much as he missed his kids with Kristen, wishing that it had been his week, he knew that he wouldn't have done it any differently and discreetly he pulled out his iPhone and snapped a picture of the two of them. 

The End