40

October 24, 2013

Fleetwood Mac had cancelled the last two concerts in Europe. Annabel knew that much, but she didn't know when they would be home so after looking in the fridge for lunch, it was broaching 11:30, she decided that she needed to go grocery shopping. She rolled her eyes and groaned out loud before traipsing back to her bedroom. Los Angeles traffic especially at noon, was a bitch. 

She put clothes on, a pair of white skinny jeans  and a peach chiffon lace up peasant blouse with bell sleeves. It had white flowers embroidered on it and she through her waves up into a bun on the top of her head. She put the dogs in their kennels and then she grabbed her dad's car keys. Her car was a lot more moveable in the LA traffic, but her dad's car had more room for groceries. 

She meandered through the aisles and spent way more money that she probably needed to but you know what they say about shopping on an empty stomach. After her escapade at Whole Foods, she decided that she needed sustenance so she got pizza and headed home. It wasn't what she wanted necessarily, but sh didn't want to go to a fast food joint because she didn't know when her parents would get back and if it was that afternoon, she didn't want to be selfish. 

She had connected into the blue tooth and as she was putting the groceries away she was working on her pizza and she was dancing around, minding her own business that she didn't see a very exhausted looking Stevie and Lindsey in the doorway. And when she did realize that they were there, she screamed and threw her pizza into the air allowing Prince to catch it and devour it. 

"How long have you been there?" Annabel asks.

"About ten minutes, you were in your own little world." Lindsey chuckles as she walks into his arms and he squeezes her tightly. 

"You're a great dancer baby." Stevie coos also going in for a hug. 

"Well, help yourself to some pizza." Annabel chuckles.

"And then we're going to bed, so keep it down..." Lindsey states.

"Mom's staying here?" 

"Well of course, we have some stuff to talk about." Stevie nods. 

"Alright." She beams. 

***

Annabel had curled up on the couch and was reading a book, when Stevie emerged from the bedroom.

"Is daddy still asleep?" Annabel asks.

"No, he got in the shower. I feel a little gross too, but I can wait for him." She shakes her head.

"You can use my bathroom." Annabel points to her bedroom.

"Oh no, I'm fine." Stevie shakes her head.

"So how's John?" 

"He's...handling it. But no one is ever really okay after a cancer diagnosis." Stevie shrugs.

"What is that you guys wanted to talk to me about?" Annabel asks as Stevie reaches over and grabs one of the peppermints that Annabel has sitting next to her. That was one her unnecessary purchases that afternoon. Hard peppermint candies. 

"Your birthday, what do you want to do for it. I know we can't be in Australia, but..." Stevie trials off. 

"You know...I've always wanted to go to England..." She shakes her head.

"London England?" 

"Yeah." She nods.

"I'll talk to your dad, you can finally meet Chris." 

"Chris?" 

"Christine McVie." Stevie clarifies.

"I was going to say, I didn't think your brother lived in the United Kingdom." 

"Oh no, they do tend to get mixed up every once and a while...you'll meet him at Christmas. Your dad and I talked about doing Hawaii for Christmas. I know the last time you went, he announced his Divorce, but I mean, you'd get to meet my family and enjoy a vacation." Stevie shrugs.

"Yeah, that'd be nice." She smiles.

"What are you two beautiful ladies talking about?" Lindsey asks coming out of his bedroom drying off his hair. 

"She wants to go to London for her birthday." Stevie explains. 

"Oh, that can be arranged...How'd you decide on London?" Lindsey asks.

"I've just always wanted to go." She tells him.

"Yeah, we can go to London for your birthday." Lindsey nods going over and kissing her forehead before letting the dogs out the back door.

"I'll have Karen arrange it." Stevie assures.

"Maybe we can stay at Chris' house." Lindsey points out plopping down in his chair.

"That's what I was telling her. And I was telling her about Christmas too." 

"It's not my year with the girls, so we just thought it'd be a good idea." Lindsey nods.

"Come back on New Years then?" Annabel asks.

"Yeah, I'll have the girls the weekend end before Christmas, December 20th I think...20th and 21st, and then we could fly out after the girls go home, I won't have them again until the 1st, so we'd fly back on the 31st." Lindsey nods.

"Nine days in Maui, sounds lovely." Annabel nods.

"It really does, especially after the year we've had." Lindsey nods.

"Okay, but can we talk about the elephant in the room?" Annabel asks.

"What's that?" Lindsey questions.

"What's going on between you two...Stuttgart was interesting." 

"You know what happened in Stuttgart?" Stevie asks.

"It was all over social media. Of course I know what happened. So what's going on?" 

"Well, your mom and I are thinking about moving back in with each other." Lindsey sighs.

"Um..." Annabel trials off.

"Yeah, I'd move into her pacific palisades house, you could stay here. Have your own place. I'll keep paying the bills." 

"Daddy, I don't want to live by myself...I hate it, it freaks me out. I'd rather live with my parents for the rest of my life. Or until I get a boyfriend." She shrugs. 

"Well we haven't decided yet...it's a big adjustment for both of us...I mean I haven't lived with another person since, Jesus...the year you were born. Karen doesn't even live with me...She's in and out all day, but unless we have an early appointment she doesn't sleep at my house. And your dad's only been divorced for what two years so he really hasn't been on his own too long, especially because you're here. And he has to think about you too. We're talking about it, but if it does happen would you be okay with it?" Stevie asks.

"As long as I can come too, I'll be fine with it." Annabel states.

"Okay." Lindsey nods.

"Alright, so let's talk about dinner." She smiles.

"You just ate lunch?" 

"By the time we get it cooked, it'll be six-thirty/seven." She points out. 

Lindsey just starts laughing and shaking his head.