A Test Of Tenacity

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Serena's POV

A black limousine carrying Serena and the three Alolan girls passed through a sturdy gate, beginning a long drive towards Lillie's estate. The change in surroundings was immediate, as the sight of dirt paths and overgrown foliage was quickly replaced with smooth pavement and elaborate gardens.

Serena observed the luscious sights in awe: "Wow! The neighborhood you live in is really something else..."

"T-thank you...! But this isn't really my neighborhood; it's just a part of my house," Lillie replied nervously.

Serena's jaw dropped. Mallow grinned and Lana shifted in her seat.

"You mean, this entire time since passing through the gate, we've been driving through-"

The car came to a halt as the chauffeur announced their timely arrival at the destination.

In front of their vehicle stood a colossal manor with several extensions protruding from either side. The last of the sun's rays painted its windows a shade of golden-orange as the abounding nature swayed in the light breeze. The idyllic setting radiated an everlasting serenity, almost as if it had been here since the dawn of time.

Serena sat motionless in the back seat, unable to take her eyes off the magnificent sight. A tug at her wrist snapped her out of her stupor.

"Serena, are you coming?" a girl in white timidly asked.

Serena blinked twice. "Y-yeah! But you never told me you had your own kingdom!"

Lillie sweat profusely as she helped Serena out of the car.

"A kingdom huh... I'm so glad you think that, but to me it's just home," Lillie smiled.

They thanked their driver and entered the establishment.

The air inside was pleasant, and the hallway opened up to a grand living room. Purple carpet covered the wood floors while various paintings of people and Pokémon alike adorned the sandalwood walls. It felt like Serena was walking down the red carpet to her Kalos Queen coronation all over again.

"It's a pretty nice place isn't it? See why I suggested earlier we spend the night at Lillie's?" Mallow said.

"Pretty nice is an understatement..." Serena said, thinking back to her old home in Kalos, "This feels like we're a group of princesses coming back from a home from a royal ball." She mimicked, lifting up a flowing skirt and stepping carefully with high-heels.

Mallow chuckled. "A royal ball after dancing with Ash you mean," she teased.

This caught Lana and Lillie's attention as Serena blushed furiously.

"N-no why would you think that - Ash and I aren't-"

"And I assume you'd be regally trekking arm-in-arm with Kiawe?" Lana teased back to Serena's relief.

Mallow's face felt not unlike the time she had put one too many Chile peppers into her dish. "Kiawe? No, no I would never-"

"Anyway, we should put our stuff down in our rooms and then meet back here for dinner," Lillie interrupted in an attempt to break the awkwardness.

Mallow sighed before giving Serena a wink. "All right then!" she said.

"Lillie, would you mind guiding me to my room? I don't think I'd be able to find my way back otherwise..." Serena asked sheepishly.