Rivals Reuninted

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ash's POV

The days began to blur as Ash plucked his way through the Ultra Class. Word of Paul's defeat had engendered a minor upheaval across the top one hundred, and Ash suddenly found multitudes of hankering trainers soliciting him for a battle. He had never contended with so many opponents in a single week before, especially at such unconventional junctures. Many times he was half into a meal, or strolling about unfrequented parts of Kalos, or prescribing strategy to his Pokémon in a sequestered wood, when a newcomer seeking a battle would emerge.

The first dozen challenges had preserved the candidness of his acceptances, but by the next thirty or so he began to wish for even a single uneventful day. By the time the final Master Class selections and ensuing tournaments were within a week's time, Ash had encountered likely over eighty opponents: some his superiors in the Ultra Class, and others still vying across Great Class. Bound by duty, Ash had responded to every challenge, but found himself developing a predilection for brisker one-on-one bouts as his once richest passion fell into tedium.

"I never thought you would be annoyed to have to battle," Serena said half-jokingly from her metal chair across from him, perhaps in an effort to lighten the mood.

"To be honest, I never thought I'd get tired of battling either," Ash admitted. He lowered his ski mask and tasted his hot cocoa thoughtfully. Refixing the headpiece to its initial placement, his fingers twiddled with a metal spoon churning the chocolatey liquid. In the past weeks, Ash had become more and more vigilant of his public appearances, going as far as to don a wintry disguise on the brink of summer to elude further challengers.

"You know, it almost feels like we're back in Snowbelle City with the way you're dressed."  Serena kidded. Her gaze settled on the steaming white mug of cocoa. "Not to mention your beverage."

Ash gave a dry chuckle. He hoped it was audible through the mask. From top to bottom, garments typically kept for chillier months enfolded his body. Inky sweat pants bagging at the husky tongues of his boots that made his feet ache protected his lower half, while a swollen blue bubble jacket cloaked his arms and torso. Nondescript black gloves had replaced his signature fingerless ones, and a rubbery ski mask concealed all of his face but his eyes. Although incongruous, the consistency of his ensemble thankfully didn't invite too many stares from the surrounding masses. If anyone asked, Ash would portray himself as a mountaineer who had hailed from the north and was just passing through town.

"I don't mind going against whoever challenges me," Ash told Serena, giving vent to his qualms. "I just wish I didn't have to set down everything I was doing and shift into battle-mode."

"I get it. Sometimes we all just need a break, even if it's from doing the things we love. That's why I brought you out here!" Serena pressed her own mug to her lips and downed a mouthful of coffee.

The parasol blooming from the center of their grayish table did well to shelter the two from the sun's harsher afternoon rays, but it didn't take long for Ash to realize that overzealous sunshine was not a problem when arrayed in attire fit for a polar expedition. At Serena's suggestion, he had loaned the wintry gear from Clemont's wardrobe. He supposed the mugginess brought on by the outfit beat dealing with slews of unrelenting trainers. 

He imagined himself beside Kiawe's perpetually shirtless figure, musing over possible reactions from his classmates. Nine days ago was Professor Kukui's and his students' official last day in Kalos, the class collectively promising to revisit again if Ash qualified for the Masterclass tournaments. The entire ride to the airport Ash had tried his best to school his friends on the workings of the KCL, or at least what he had gathered from Drotom's manifold appearances. He was glad that Professor Kukui seemed to understand, as he had exempted Ash from class for the interim should he continue to compete in the league.