Ash Vs. Paul: A Burning Resolve

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ash's POV

The advantage of using an Electric-type against a Water-type proved to be far less aiding than Ash had surmised. Since the match's inception, Pikachu had struck Paul's sinuous Gyrados only twice: once had been from a mistimed Electro Ball turned into an improvised Iron Tail. Despite fighting countless battles, Ash never knew it was possible for Hurricane's mighty gales to prematurely detach the electric sphere from Pikachu's body, arcing it laterally with devastating force.

Unlike Pikachu's scarce connections, Gyrados's attacks were frequent and landed hard. First came Hydro Pump: a move ubiquitous in most Water-types. Ash had been expecting it, yet the geyser had been fired deftly, lancing Pikachu before its trainer could react. When it was recuperating, Paul had ordered Rain Dance, inviting copious rainfall to empower Gyrados's moves.

For the behemoth that it was, standing more than 20 feet in length, Gyrados moved fast. Its keen eyes stalked Pikachu's movements even through Quick Attack allowing it to dodge nearly all of Ash's commands. With the addition of Hurricane, the battlefield spun into a hungry maelstrom—and Pikachu was the special of the day. Concern washed over Ash, but he was far from panicked. Pikachu had surmounted equally dire situations before. Still, Ash conceded that Paul's Gyrados was powerful, regardless of the reproach he held for his rival's training methods.

"Come on Ash! You can beat him!" Bonnie encouraged as she sat waterlogged in the fourth row. Ash glimpsed both hands on her head likely positioned to shield herself from the downpour. When the steely clouds summoned by Rain Dance had begun leaking deluge, Ash half-expected a comically large umbrella to unfurl from Clemont's backpack, the inventor dubbing it the Umbrella-O-Matic 9000 or something. Regrettably, it became evident that he had devised no such device—which Ash supposed made sense since this was an indoor, Electric-type gym.

"Okay Pikachu! Iron Tail, now!" Ash wagered the move that had struck once could strike again.

"Swat it away!" Paul commanded.

Gyrados veered its entire length half of a full rotation. Normally flaccid, its cape-like tail fin now cleaved through the air as if it were the flat of a sword. The flanks of the two Pokémon collided briefly before Pikachu was flung violently backwards. Ash grimaced as phantom pain crept along his spine.

"Pikachu, hang in there!"

"Your Pikachu is weak," Paul intoned. He wore a jaded expression. "I don't see why you don't just evolve it to a Raichu. Then maybe it wouldn't be as pathetic."

"That's not true!" Ash blustered. Pikachu somersaulted several times before skidding to a halt. Mud and grime coated the tips of its ears, making them appear more brown than black, and numerous scratches riddled its body and face.

"I really hope Pikachu's going to be all right," Ash heard Serena say.

"You should really consider switching out your Pokémon! It's a two-on-two battle after all with changes allowed," Clemont advised.

"Can you still fight buddy?" Ash asked tentatively.

"Pika!"

"Yeah! That's the spirit!" Ash regretted not being able to deploy a Z-Move. Though, considering Pikachu's current condition as well as yesterday's fight against Diggersby, he would be lucky to land another hit.

"Let's finish this!" Paul shouted. "Dragon Tail!"

Pikachu held firm, plunging its tail into the loosened soot. Anchored to the ground, it resisted brutish squalls of rain, though merely remaining still required immense exertion. Ash watched solemnly, knowing Dragon Tail would bring him down to his last Pokémon. He needed a plan, and fast.