Showcasing How Far We've Come

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ash's POV

"Hurray!" Mallow squealed, throwing her arms in the air, "We're going to Kalos!" 

The classroom was ecstatic: the Alolan girls were practically bursting with joy while Kiawe struggled to keep his excitement at bay at premise of witnessing the Kalos Championship League. Across the room, even the young tinkerer and his Togedemaru were stoked to be able to visit the great Lumiose City renowned for its technological advancements originating from its very own Gym Leader.

"When are we going?" Lana asked, clasping her hands together excitedly.

The Professor glanced down at his tickets, double-checking the date. "Next week! Make sure to get permission from your parents and arrive at the airport at 10:00am on Monday!"

"All right!" the class exclaimed.

"Professor Kukui..." Serena said amidst her classmates rejoicing, "How long have you been planning this for?"

The Professor ran his fingers through his goatee instinctually. "Probably around two weeks, yeah? I definitely wanted to take the class on an unforgettable field trip this year, but I wasn't exactly sure where to go. Thanks to you Serena, I've made up my mind!" Professor Kukui exclaimed.

"Me?" the girl asked innocently, pointing a finger at herself, "What did I have to do with this?" She glanced towards a dumbfounded Ash staring intently at his teacher.

"The truth is there's actually two reasons I wanted to go to Kalos: one being so that the class would be able to spend more time with you in your home region, and the other being so that I could find out some more information about that mysterious Pokémon, Zygarde," Professor Kukui stated in a voice only audible to Serena and the boy from Pallet Town.

"Zygarde?" Serena gasped, taken aback at the mention of the legendary Pokémon's name.

Ash suddenly remembered the conversation he had with the Professor the day that Greninja had returned. Ash had told a condensed recollection of how Team Flare's malicious machinations had been effectively halted by him and his friends alongside Zygarde. The invertebrate's words, shortly before it departed from Alola, replayed inside the boy's head.

But do not worry, for I am sure we will meet again.

"I wonder what Zygarde meant by that..." Ash pondered aloud.

"Huh? Meant by what?" Professor Kukui asked.

"When it told us that we would meet again in the forest the other day," Ash elaborated. 

However, in this moment, both student and professor had no knowledge of what that phrase portended: whether it ominously foretold a calamitous battle that would call upon the ancient Pokémon of legend or merely a fated subsequent encounter by the edge of a crater was a mystery.

"I have no idea," Professor Kukui replied truthfully with a shrug, "But I'd like to see it again hopefully and learn more about this incredible Pokémon. But hey, it looks like this field trip lines up perfectly with your upcoming league! Not to mention that it gives us more time with Serena here." 

He gestured to the girl who glanced at Ash before feeling her face get hot. Serena pressed her fingertips together shyly and thanked the Professor wholeheartedly for the much-appreciated extra time with her Alolan friends.

"Now, isn't it about time you go start practicing for your upcoming performance?" Professor Kukui nudged the girl gently with an elbow.

"Oh right! I almost forgot! Are you really sure that it's okay for me to leave-" Serena began.