Alola, Kalos!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Serena's POV

Almost a week had passed since Serena's impromptu performance at the Melemele Center of Performing Arts, and in that time Pokémon performing had become the craze in Alola, having taken the region by storm.

Just a day ago, during a brief excursion to Akala Island alongside her companions from school, a group of girls a few years junior to Serena had approached her, asking a dozen questions that ranged from her upbringing as a performer to any advice she had for newcomers like themselves. The aspiration she saw in their eyes coupled with the veneration for her felt through their overly high-pitched voices reminded Serena a lot of herself whenever she was in the presence of Aria, the former Kalos Queen. Although she did not mind the fame, Serena had come to Alola for a brief respite from that very publicity. Still, she smiled warmly and had answered her fans politely, grateful that they had not inquired about a possible relationship she might have shared with the boy that had saved her skin on stage.

Right now, the Kalos Queen laid soundly on her mattress, her palms pressed softly together beneath her pillow. The first rays of dawn had begun to break through the cracks of her blinds, marking her final Alolan sunrise before Serena and the rest of her class would depart for Kalos. Normally, her departure would be accompanied by a pang of sentiment, but strangely, the premise of being alongside Ash and her Alolan friends alleviated that sensation. Her dormant eyelids obscuring her cerulean eyes suddenly fluttered open as the tones of an exuberant Ash Ketchum shattered her calm slumber.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ash's POV

"Today's the day, ready Pikachu?" a boyish voice called from down the hall.

"Pikachu!" a different voice chirped in delight.

"Awesome! We're finally going back to Kalos! And once we're there, nothing's gonna stop us from coming out on top in the league!" Ash extended his fist skywards beside his partner Pokémon. It had been over a year since Ash had last taken part in an official Pokémon League; however, this was no ordinary tournament: it was the centurial Championship League that beckoned to only the best trainers from all over the world. This test of strength would go beyond solely the abilities of Pokémon and would challenge the very bonds that trainers held with their partners. Adrenaline began to fill Ash's veins, produced by the mere thought of the battles he would have. Pikachu's cheeks crackled with static energy as the electric mouse felt the same emotions as that of its trainer.

"Look out world, because Ash Ketchum from Pallet Town is-!" the boy was interrupted by the sudden creak of a door thrown open resentfully.

"What in the world are you doing up so early?!" an irritated voice asked.

Ash turned around to see a sleep-deprived Professor Kukui whose sunken eye bags caused him to appear twenty years older.

"Morning Professor! You're looking a little off today... like something's missing..." Ash paused to analyze his teacher's wearied appearance. His heavy eyelids and cheerless expression hinted at his potential vexation from being awoken so early, a hint that Ash was oblivious to.

"Oh that's right! I'm used to seeing you with your sunglasses!" The boy fetched the Professor's shades from the counter and placed them on his teacher's head as Pikachu stifled a giggle. The sight was almost comical, however the Professor's deadpan stare suggested otherwise. Normally, Professor Kukui loved Ash's bottomless reserves of enthusiasm: it had been a fresh take to his mundane life. But for him, a rejuvenating sleep served as a recess from Ash's zeal. The Professor opened his mouth but words failed to come out, and he let out an exasperated sigh before stepping back into his room and shutting the door behind him.