04

DEVOTEDChapter four — "Fearsome Womb"

DEVOTED
Chapter four — "Fearsome Womb"

HER FISTS GRIPPED onto the side of her coat as (Y/n) peered up at the sky

HER FISTS GRIPPED onto the side of her coat as (Y/n) peered up at the sky. Not a single spot of blue seeped through the ocean of grey clouds. Her gaze fell to the suit-wearing man in front of her, whom she recognized as Ijichi Kiyotaka, the Assistant Manager of Jujutsu High School, "Our windows confirmed a curse womb approximately three hours ago. When the evacuation process was 90 percent complete, the decision was made to close off the facility. Detention Center Building 2! Five inmates are currently trapped inside along with the curse. Curse wombs that grow and change shape can be expected to become a curse close to that of a special grade."

"I'm still not sure what the special grade thing is all about," Itadori commented.

"Then allow me to explain it so even idiots can understand. First, there's grade 4, a wooden bat is enough for them. Grade 3, if you have a handgun, you can rest easy. Grade 2, it'll be a close call with a shotgun. Grade 1, even a tank may be insufficient. Then, there's special grade—Let's say you might be on even footing if you carpet comb it with cluster bombs," Ijichi explained.

"Normally, a jujutsu sorcerer will be assigned to a curse of a similar grade. Gojo-sensei would be called in today, for example," (Y/n) said as she placed her hands into her pockets.

"And where's the man himself?" Yuji flipped his head from side-to-side, searching for a tall white-haired man.

"On a business trip. To be honest, he's probably not someone who should be wasting time at a place like Jujutsu High."

Ijichi pushed up his glasses, "Our line of work is always lacking manpower. And being overwhelmed by missions is common place. This time, however, it's an extraordinary emergency," he looked at each of the students, "Do not engage! When confronted by a special grade, the options are to either run away or die. Listen to your fear. Do not forget—your mission is to locate and evacuate any survivors. Nothing more."

"Hey! Excuse me! Is Tadashi... Is my son okay?" a woman stood before the barricade tape, waving to the group. Yuji attempted to step forward, being stopped by Ijichi who held an arm out in front of him.