08

DEVOTEDChapter eight — "She's evolving"

DEVOTED
Chapter eight — "She's evolving"

A GUN'S BARREL was pointed at the ginger girl on the floor

A GUN'S BARREL was pointed at the ginger girl on the floor. A tall, green-haired girl looked down at the beaten up first-year, "If you're gonna continue being a sorcerer, then you better watch who you pick fights with!"

A stick flew down, making the girl retract her gun. Another tall, green-haired girl appeared, looking at her sister through her glasses, "Mai, what do you think you're doing to my errand girl?"

"Oh, you're so worthless I didn't notice you, Maki."

Maki retracted her polearm, "I'd say we're both pretty much worthless. All you do is imbue things with cursed energy. You don't even have a cursed technique."

"Well, that's better than not having cursed energy at all. If I keep looking up at my goals, then my neck will start to hurt. Sometimes I have to look down at what's below me."

"Forget it. What a waste of time. We're both at the bottom," Maki turned to the first-year, "Nobara, can you stand up?"

"I doubt it. She'll be down for a while. I got her pretty good," Mai's words stopped when the bottom of Maki's polearm neared her face, "What? You wanna go at it?"

Nobara snuck behind Mai, pulling her down to the ground in a chokehold while she wrapped her legs around the other girl's arm, "Nice teamwork, Maki!" Nobara spoke into Mai's ear, "You tore my new tracksuit. Leave your uniform behind as compensation."

Mai glared at the ginger, "Maybe I should put some more holes in your body next. Besides, your legs are too short to make this look good," she looked at the long, black dress she wore.

"I'll kill you!"

A large figure appeared beside the girls, "Mai, we're leaving."