10

DEVOTEDChapter ten — "Day two of the investigation"

DEVOTED
Chapter ten — "Day two of the investigation"

YAMAGUMI DAISUKE WATCHED the young girl as she hastily ate her meal

YAMAGUMI DAISUKE WATCHED the young girl as she hastily ate her meal. The two had—though unspoken—mutually agreed to not discuss the news over breakfast. Daisuke internally smiled and frown at the same time—the girl he grew up watching with his best friend was here in front of him and she reminded him of Makoto when he was younger. They both were terrible with emotions and often distracted themselves with another activity, whether that be food or sports or art or reading. Daisuke thought over his middle school years, remembering all the times Makoto got scolded at.

A young Daisuke watched, holding back a laugh at his friend's antics while Makoto frantically colored in the drawing on his desk. He shook his head, turning his attention back to his own paper as the art teacher walked around the room to observe. The teacher was passing by the pair when a loud snap was heard from the pencil within the (h/c)-haired boy's hand. The teacher stared at the broken pencil before clicking her tongue, "(L/n), this is why you shouldn't be pressing down that hard! If you're upset, don't take it out on my materials. I spent my own money to get the good color pencils. Don't break anymore, alright? I'll let it slide this time, but next time, you're paying for it."

Makoto rubbed the back of his neck, keeping his gaze down, "Yes, ma'am. Sorry, ma'am." He avoided looking at Daisuke who had buried his face into his desk, howling in laughter.

Daisuke saw the similarities in the siblings and let out a short chuckle, earning a questioning look from the younger (L/n). Daisuke shook his head with a smile, "You reminded me of a memory with Makoto."

"Well, now you're gonna have to elaborate..."

"He broke a pencil in art class because he was so mad one day. He just kept coloring and coloring until it literally snapped in half," Daisuke gazed over the girl's expression, "And that! The face you two make when you're caught in your actions. Makoto was slightly more red than you and avoided eye contact a bit more as well. I think he was mad about... uh... Oh! Your 10th birthday!"