Drop of snow

Ranboo wakes up to the smell of bread still lingering from their return a few days ago. The loafs ended up looking like they were attacked, uneven blobs lacking the golden brown of Niki's and instead of cracks the shape of leaves gashes crisscrossed across the surface. He's just glad that the looks didn't stop them from tasting really good. Means he probably shouldn't quit his job to become a baker, though.

He stretches, feeling his muscles tremble with effort. When he tries to sit up he notices Tubbo is wrapped around his left arm and a thin tail is wrapped with his. He smiles fondly, turning his head to get a look at Tommy, his face is buried under a pillow and another is clutched in his hands. A short  pale-gold braid rests in view from under the pillow, it makes Ranboo's chest warm with a soft purr.

He fell asleep on his own since he was a bit overstimulated but the sight of his haunting is never unwelcome. He carefully untangles his tail and slips From Tubbo's arms, rolling the goat hybrid off of his stomach to make sure he can breathe.

For a similar reason he adjusts Tommy's pillow so his face is visible.

Warbles and chirrs sing softly under his breath.

Safe.

His housemates have become especially clingy as the air steadily chills and despite knowing that it's probably in preparation for his winter full of working, his instincts can only love the togetherness without the bittersweet he can see on Tubbo's face. Was Tubbo right that his prize money should be able to heat their home enough all winter? Maybe but if traveling is going to become a regular thing the minimum of bills and repairs won't leave enough left over.

He slides out of bed, a shiver running up his body as the pads of his feet hit cold wood. He lets himself adjust for a moment before making his way to the kitchen, using some of the more unexpected gifts to start on an oatmeal of sorts. He loves cooking for his housemates even if he's not great at it. He supposes that knowing they're eating is still reliving despite how long it's been since they've actually gone hungry must be part of it. Another must be the domesticity of it all, the slow build of sunlight outside and the quiet as he waits for the day to stir his family.

The way Tubbo's bleats lay under his voice while he's heavy with sleep, the purrs and strange growls Tommy can't suppress when around them, the way Michael jumps from wherever he decided to sleep to the windowsill to watch the birds.

It's so small, so safe.

He can't help but worry that relying on the money from competitions and odd jobs will ruin it. That the hours between seeing Tommy will stretch far again, that Tubbo and Mellohi will soar too high in search for money and be unable to return for more than a quick hello-goodbye.

The quiet loses some of its warmth at the idea that it could become the norm.

The sound of hushed voices ten minutes later is more than welcome to join the soft bubbling of the stove.

Not even a minute after the muttering starts Tommy emerges in the doorway. His braid falls is flipped and hangs over part of his face and Tubbo's hair is sticking out around his horns. He waves them over, the same slight indignation it always gives Tommy revealing itself with a sigh as they walk over.

" trying some oatmeal today, we can use some of the preserved apples Quackity and Karl gave us to make it sweet"

"Sounds good boss man"

Tubbo yawns, passing where Tommy sits down at the table and staring out the window with worry slightly creasing the skin between his eyes.

" this is the longest Mellohi hasn't shown up"

While true Mellohi never sticks around after practice and the longer the dragon takes the longer he can pretend they don't have to separate so much.

"I'm sure he's fine, who knows he might have his own little mismatched family"

He chuckles softly, turning back to stirring as Tubbo agrees and joins Tommy. Once it's finally done he takes the jar and takes chunks of cinnamon apples out with a spoon, adding it in them, turning off the heat and separating it into bowls.

He turns around to the sight of Tubbo poking Tommy, whose braid is back in place and whose face is buried in his arms. The annoyed flick of his cow-like ears is the only indicator the younger hybrid is awake.

"Toms, food!"

Tubbo tugs Tommy's ear playfully, earning himself a deep glare. With a tired grumble Tommy sits up again and regards the bowl of food as if it had personally insulted him before finally following Tubbo's lead and eating.

"Not half bad, Ranboob"

Satisfied that both of his hauntingmates were eating, Ranboo sits down to eat. It's a bit too mushy and not very flavorful but it's good and more importantly warm. He's satisfied with it.

He stretches lazily as Tubbo takes it upon himself to do the dishes. Micheal gets bored of watching the birds and bats at his tail, taking pleasure in making it start to sway in mild irritability. Tommy watches , curling his own tail around his leg to protect it from getting the same treatment.

"Oh!"

Both endermen hybird's heads snap up at the exclamation, looking to Tubbo in unison.

"What?!"

Tommy growls under his breath before closing his eyes, taking a deep breath, startling him has ended in a bloody nose before. Tubbo apologizes sheepishly, Tommy tends to lean towards fight in fight,flight or freeze but he diffuses pretty easily.

"I mean, what?"

Micheal notices Tommy's tail unravel to swing nervously before anyone else, turning tail on Ranboo's slow wiggle to enjoy swinging at a moving target.

Tommy's face burns with shame before giving way to a 'o' as Tubbo points to the windows.

Outside the first snowfall of the year drifts through the air, dancing across the sky before melting against the ground. It's soft, it's quiet, it's peaceful.

It's a little cold.

It spells out a letter of resignation. Reminding them that the warm lazy days are drawing close to an end.

A knock on the door shatters the thought, making all of the residents jump. They never get knocks on the door.

Micheal scurries under a chair,Tommy's hair visibly puffs up, Tubbo slowly turns off the water and six eyes find themselves stuck to the wood.

"..... I'll get that"

Ranboo slowly stands, wincing as they knock again. He cautiously makes his way to the door before swinging it open.

"Ah hello! Is this the residence of Tubbo Underscore?"

A face he's seen stares back at him from newspapers and the town's screen smiles from behind sunglasses. He's wearing a pink dress that doesn't fully cover the gills and semi transparent legs of the announcer in all of Tubbo's favorite programs.

Eret waits patiently for a response.

(Bit of a shorter one but the last two were pretty big so I think it's fine. Man I just love domestic fluff, my god.)