Thorned jackets

The morning after things simultaneously returned to normal and changed forever, a goat hybrid finds himself sitting at the windowsill with Micheal purring on his lap. Outside everything is still bathed in darkness but he keeps finding himself glancing at it anyway.

Cold air fills the lungs of a small family that seems too scared to disturb the quiet. Tubbo, for one, stares out into nothing with a heart that can't seem to decide between the lack of noise being comfortable and suffocating. Small movements are the only reminders that he has a presence at all. A twitch of his nose, a flick of his ears.

The lifeless and darkened veiw he's been forcing himself to stare at proves to be a horrible way to avoid thinking. It's not nearly as interesting as it would have to be to distract him in the state he's in and he eventually ends up returning his gaze to the other hybrids in the room. He's not sure how he feels about the entire situation but he can't bear to spend any time alone with his own thoughts to figure it out..

He feels his ears press lightly back as looks over to where Tommy's banished himself from the couch. The enderman- no, the dragon hybrid (part of Tubbo's still honestly a little stuck on the fact that dragon hybrids even exist, let alone that he's looking at one).

The dragon hybrid is sitting on the floor beside the couch, leaned against the worn fabric with a tired expression. Wings that still don't look quite real are just visible from this angle. In his hand, a familiar dark purple feather is slowly picked apart. A random spot on the floor seems to be his only point of focus. On the couch beside Tommy, Ranboo sits stiffly (practically radiating anxiety), his tail flicking anxiously against the cushions it's pinned against.

For a moment, Tubbo watches the enderman hybrid's eyes flick back and forth between the floor and what little he can probably see of Tommy. He can practically feel how much effort is going into resisting the instinct to pick up and hold the blond. Neither seem very comfortable and, eventually, Tubbo decides that he may as well break the silence (it's not benefiting any of them anyway).

"...Tommy?"

The blond stiffens before responding

"Yeah?"

Tubbo opens his mouth to reply before faltering as he realizes that he somehow hadn't thought he'd get that far.

He closes his mouth again, pressing his lips closed for a second as he thinks. Each second he takes to respond makes Tommy curl more and more into himself and ,with a sigh, Tubbo finally just asks the question that's been circling the loudest in his mind.

"....Why didn't you tell me, tell us, What kind of hybrid you are?"

Tubbo tries to keep the betrayed feeling out of his voice but even if he did succeed, judging on his reaction, that was the exact question Tommy had been dreading. The other boy looks away from the the rest of the room pointedly with a flick of his ear before answering.

"Well...to be honest I was.... Scared "

His voice sounds uncertain but he finally meets Tubbo's eyes. The goat hybrid is slightly taken back by how easy it was to get the blond to admit anything about how he feels (his habit of hiding any negative feelings has always felt like a point of contention so it's almost worrying to not see it at all).

"Scared of what?"

"I don't know, just of people knowing? I remember my d-dad telling me to never show anyone before he.... Left, it's the only thing I really remember about my parents."

He shifts his weight away from the couch, crossing his legs and thinking for a moment before continuing.

"At this point I'm not even sure he ever said that, I just know that when I first met you guys I wasn't too keen on telling anyone"