Chapter15: Burning And Waking Up

Chapter 15

I stirred in the bed, the burning that was raging inside me was slowly dropping its temperature. Thank the Gods, they're putting off the fire that had burned inside me for a long time. I don't know how many days. It could have been weeks, months, years, or even decades, centuries. But I was still afraid that maybe, even though the fire was slowly ebbing away, my body was charred. I would look horrible. Jasper won't love me anymore. It couldn't be! I concentrated around my surroundings and I could hear every sound! Everything! I can hear Marcus and Caius slowly drifting towards where we are, murmuring in soft voices. I can hear Alec and Demetri bickering somewhere in the Volturi castle. I jerked when I felt the fire really fading away slowly, it was on its way out. That's a good news. But there was bad news, the fire in my throat wasn't the same as before. I was'nt  only on fire but I was now parched too. Dry as bone. So..so thirsty I could drink water from five galloons in one minute. Burning fire, and so thirsty. 

Another bad news. The fire inside my heart was getting hotter and hotter. My heart beat, already too fast, picked up--the fire drove its rhythm to a new frantic pace.

" Jasper. "  Aro called. His voice was low but clear. I knew that Jasper woould hear it, if he were in or near the changing room.

The fire had now retreated from my palms, leaving them blissfully pain-free and cool. But it retreated to my heart, which blazed hot as the sun and beat at a furious new speed.

Demetri had entered the room, Alec at his side. Their footsteps were so distinct, I could even tell that Demetri was on the right and a foot ahead of Alec.

" Listen. " Jasper told them.

The loudest sound in the room was my heart that was pounding to the rythm of the fire.

" Ah, it is almost over. " Aro said. I could hear him smiling. 

My relief at his words was overshadowed by the excruciating pain in my heart. My wrists were free, though, and my ankles. The fire was totally extinguished there. My fingers twitched, the irritattion breaking through my perfect facade. The room went silent besides the jack-hammering of my heart as they all stopped breathing for a second or two in response. Jasper's hand squeezed my wayward fingers.

" Bella? My love? " 

Could I answer him without screaming? I considered that for a moment, and then the fire ripped hotter still through my chest, draining in from my elbows and kneew. Better not to chance it.

" Should I get Felix? " An unfamiliar female,pleasant voice said in an urgent tone. SOmeone grunted, Caius I think and then I could hear the swish of  wind as she darted away.

And then..

My heart took off, beating like helicopter blades, the sound almost a single sustained note, it felt like it would grind through my ribs. The fire flared up in the center of my chest, sucking the last remnants of the flames from the rest of my body to fuel the most scorching blaze yet. The pain was enough to stun me like a statue, to break through my grip on the stake. My back arched, bowed as if the fire was dragging me upward by my heart. I allowed no other piece of my body to break rank as my torso slumbed back to the bed.

" Bella. " Jasper said.

I wanted to respond to his calling but then.. Inside my body, it became a battle. My sprinting heart racing against the blazing fire. Both were losing. The fire was doomed, having consumed everything that was combustible; my heart galloped like a horse toward its last beat.

The fire had constricted, concentrating inside that one remaining human organ with a final, unbearable surge. The surge was answered by a deep, hollow-sounding thud. My heart stuttered twice and then thudded quietly again just once more.

Then..there was no sound of my heart  beating like a helicoper blade anymore. No breathing. Not even mine. For a moment, the absence of pain was all I could comprehend. And then.. I opened my eyes and gazed above me in wonder.