three

Chapter three: Still not safe

Mara's pov:

Another week and a half had passed since I had decided to use the Titan Shifters to get us to safety. They would most likely kill all the titans in the area, so I had followed them to ensure the safety of me and my sister. 

But now we were finally within the walls once more. We could finally relax. I propped a sleeping Yana up on my hip as we walked through the market with the purse full of clinking coins I'd pick pocketed before. 

The market here was far different from the ones back home. It had this unhappy air about it, it made me feel like I was unwelcome. I knew I was, since I'd overheard a pair of soldiers talking about how us outer wall filth should have died back in during the fall. I found this disgusting, since we had every right they had to live. Just because we lived further away from the capital, didn't mean we were any less human. 

I strode through the market with my chin held high, nevertheless. I stopped if I saw something I liked, and bought it if I could. Like anyone else from within Wall Rose would.

I returned to the refugee centre and split the food I'd bought with Yana. We ate in peace, but I always had one eye glued to the trio of Titan Shifters sitting across the shelter. 

The fourth, Marcel I think his name was, had been eaten by a titan. I wasn't sure how it had happened since I hadn't been close enough to see, but I'd stumbled across his remains when I passed. 

I wondered who had the Jaw titan now. I hoped they were ok, whoever they were. It would take awhile for them to remember everything when they woke up, but they were probably fine now. It was laughable that Marley had lost the Jaw Titan so easily though. 

I thought the warriors were the best of the best, but perhaps not if they could be ambushed by a titan and escape with one less life.

"Mara! When are mama and papa gonna get here?" Yana asked, a little louder than I would have liked. I felt one or two pairs of eyes turn to us, but I ignored them. Instead I licked my lips and stared up at the ceiling.

"I don't know Yana." I mumbled, hiding it when my voice broke and tears brimmed in my eyes. I knew I would have to tell Yana eventually, but I couldn't bring myself to. I couldn't spoil her innocence like that. 

I felt the gazes upon us turn pitying, but they soon disappeared and I relaxed again. 

I just wanted to go back in time a few months, just a few. Was that too much to ask? I just wanted to hug my parents one last time. To just have one last joke, one last bed-time story, one last lullaby. All the minor things I'd never appreciated enough. All the minor things I needed, only one last time. Just once

Yana shifted beside me and rested her head on my thigh like it was a pillow. I smiled down at her softly, a single tear sliding down my cheek.

I strolled down the unpopulated street after the soldier. He was drunk, and could barely walk, so it would be so, unbelievably easy to just subtly cut the bottom of his pouch of coins. So easy to catch the coins and walk away, whistling a happy tune. 

Few people were near, but the ones that were wouldn't even care if they did see. 

The soldier stumbled a few steps and I darted forward to help him stay upright. I supported his elbow with my left hand and slit the bottom of his bulging pouch of coins. The coins fell into my hand and I swiftly slipped them into my pocket. 

I smiled up at the soldier with my best fake smile.

"You should be careful sir, the road is rocky here, you might trip." I said, then helped him fully upright and strolled off again. I could feel the soldier's confused gaze on me, but I didn't care. 

I flicked a coin up and down, then saw an old woman sitting on the side of the street, shivering. I met her eye and gave her a cheeky grin, flicked her the coin and continued on my way back to the refugee camp. 

I had spent most of the afternoon spending the money I'd stolen on new clothes and food for me and Yana. After all, the loose flare pants I'd been wearing before weren't the best for tracking Titan Shifters, neither was Yana's floral dress. 

So I had gone out to buy new clothes, and now I made my way back to the refugee camp with them in a bag. 

When I got back, Yana ran over happily, jumping up and hugging me. I hefted her on my hip and smoothing her in sloppy kisses like our mother used to. I swear, I'm growing into such a mother without ours around. The thought made me amused and sad at the same time. 

She laughed and pushed me away, dropping to the floor and bouncing in circles around me.

"I made a friend today!" She exclaimed excitedly. I raised a brow sceptically and smiled, intrigued.

"Oh? What's their name?" I asked, bending my knees until I was eye level with the young girl. 

Her brunette hair was the same shade as mine, but her eyes were a vibrant muddy brown with flecks of green and gold, while mine were a slate bluey grey. I had our mother's eyes. Yana had our father's. I was slender and agile, she was both as well as tough. I envied her – it was clear she would grow up to be the stronger sister.

"His name is Armin! I ran into him while I was picking flowers!" She exclaims, unable to hide the massive smile on her face. I smile warmly, she's so cute sometimes.

"That's nice, why don't you play with him tomorrow while I'm out?" I say, not planning to hold her to it unless I do actually go out.

"Mhm!" She hums with agreement. I smile at her carefreeness. It wouldn't last forever, but I promised I'd make it as long as possible. 

I lunged forward and scooped up Yana with a grin, making her giggle as I twirled her around. 

I wished moments like these would last forever...but they didn't. You always had to just keep moving on, no matter what else happened. Keep moving and eventually you'll be safe to stand still. That's what my father had told me once. 

So I would take his advice to heart. I'd keep moving forward until it was safe to stand still. No matter how long it took.