eighteen

Chapter eighteen: Traitors in our midst

Mara's pov:

My legs dangled off the side of the house I was supposed to be patrolling from. We would officially graduate from the 104th cadet corps tonight, and in all honesty, I wasn't sure I was ready for it yet. 

Graduating would mean we would have to return to the world of real titans, not just the decoys we used to train. It would mean I'd have to stay on high alert all the time again. It would also mean I'd have to watch out for the other two Titan Shifters next attack. 

I knew I wasn't ready to face that real world again just yet. But I would enjoy these last few hours of peace with my comrades, not my enemies. 

Bertholdt and Reiner could return to my enemies once we officially graduated, but as of right now, we were still comrades and fellow soldiers. 

The two sat by my side on the rooftop, while Annie watched the two like a hawk from the one opposite. I laughed internally at the way she was looking at them both like she'd slice them open if they did so much as say the wrong thing to me, all the while, they were completely oblivious. 

Honestly, I was amazed no one had picked up on me and Annie yet. I failed to fathom how no one could see the way I looked at Annie so lovingly, or the way she glared at anyone who seemed a little too comfortable around me. 

Well, everyone except Ymir, who had asked about it in passing a month or so ago. But I trusted Ymir not to tell anyone, after all, she had no reason to. She had teased me about falling for a Titan Shifter from Marley though, especially since I'd been ranting to her about how I refused to let them kill my fellow Eldians here within the walls only a few years before. 

I had tried to tease her about falling for Krista in return, but I hadn't been able to come up with anything bad about it. 

That had only led to more teasing. 

Bertholdt sighed next to me before folding one of those unreasonable long legs closer to his body.

"We should probably continue patrolling before we get caught." He mumbled, not looking up. I sighed and leaned back, knowing we should but not being bothered to get up. Reiner grunted in agreement but made no move to stand.

"What do you think the others are doing right now?" Reiner pondered out loud. I rolled my eyes at his forgetfulness. He wasn't very good at remembering things, for a Titan Shifter. 

I wondered how he'd wound up with the Armoured titan with that brain of his.

"They're on wall patrol, remember? They have to clean the cannons and watch out for danger." I reminded the forgetful brute. He frowned and fell into a deep thought, which made me chuckle under my breath at how easily his mood could change.