fourteen

Chapter fourteen: Tradition continues

Mara's pov:

At one am on the eve of the fourth month of the training year, the clock chimed once in the distance. 

I slipped out of bed, hearing Ymir doing the same while Sasha and Krista began to climb down the ladder from the top bunk. In the pitch black darkness, I fumbled to tug off my nightgown and changed into old clothes that I didn't mind getting ruined. 

I turned when I was finished, finding a pack of matches to light up the room so we could see. I struck the match and watched as it flickered to life, the fire dancing on the end. 

I turned to the others, finding them all ready, and crept to the door, sliding the spare matches into my pocket. 

I cracked open the door and peeked out, the hallway was lifeless outside. I signalled for the others to follow me out and stepped into the hallway, seeing Mikasa do the same, quickly followed by Eren and Reiner on the opposite side. 

I slipped out of the doorway and down the hallway, towards the exit of the dorm building. Eren and Mikasa appeared by my side in an instant, so I let them lead the way to the lake instead. 

I darted out into the training grounds after the two, smiling to myself at the night ahead. Like last year, and the year before that, I knew this night would be one I would never forget in my lifetime, and whatever awaited me after that.

When we arrived at the lake, we all dumped our spare stuff by the bank before we raced in, not caring about the frigid water in our fun. 

I grinned and immediately sent a wall of water splashing in Ymir's direction, only for her to block it with her own wall. I laughed and turned to splash Krista, my laugh growing wilder when Ymir scooped up the unexpecting girl to save her from the attack. Ymir placed Krista down with a flirty remark, then turned to me, rolling up imaginary sleeves.

"Oh it's on, Mara. No one goes after my Krista and gets away with it." Ymir threatened, stalking towards me scarily. 

I backed away nervously, though a smile still on my face. Ymir cracked her knuckles, which I took as my que to run. 

I spun on my heel and dove into the water, Ymir splashing in after me. I swam as fast as I could to get out of reach of the raging lesbian, but there was little I could do with the other being much taller, and therefore a faster swimmer. 

Ymir grabbed my ankle and yanked me back, making me squeal and gasp for air. Once I was in reaching distance, Ymir grabbed me and hauled me out of the water. I shrieked with anticipation, then laughed hysterically when the taller brunette flung me into the water. I broke the surface of the water once more, gasping for breath between my laughing, and waded back over to where all my friends laughed and played.