twenty

Chapter twenty: Riveren titan

Mara's pov:

"If you best me in a duel, I will let you live...on one condition..."

No, don't.

"That you inherit my titan, the Riveren Titan..."

The footsteps grew louder and louder, until they finally stopped outside the closet door. 

I placed a hand over my mouth to stifle my ragged breathing, but it didn't make a difference. I could already feel the scared tears welling in my eyes.

"You seem to forget I am a titan shifter, you cannot hide from me, child." Her tone turned sharp at the word 'child'. 

Through the crack in the door, I saw the shadow of her hand reaching up towards the handle. The door began to open bit by bit, slow but steady. 

I could see the Titan Shifter's hand now, nails black and skin still with a pink hue from her titan form. My body was shaking from fear now.

Why aren't I moving?

Where is there to go?

Suddenly, the door swung open and a hand reached in, grabbed my shift and yanked me out, into the room beyond. 

There was a flash of light behind my scrunched shut eyes as I exclaimed in surprise, waiting for the impact of the hardwood floor. But instead of the rough wood, I felt myself land softly on a bed of grass. The grass was fresh to the touch, and the soil beneath it seemed healthy when I felt it. 

I opened my eyes cautiously, taking in the vibrant grass and squinting against the sudden brightness. 

I covered my eyes with my arms in an attempt to let my eyes adjust before meeting the harsh light when I stood up. When my eyes did finally adjust, they widened with surprise at my new surroundings. 

There was a warm breeze that picked up stray stands of my now unbound hair, playing with it gently. It wasn't an unpleasant breeze, instead it was light and carried the scent of fresh water. I gazed at my surroundings, finding that I sat in was a meadow of sorts. 

Flowers of all colours and types covered the meadow from top to tail. An array of colourful decorations. 

Trees lined the field, perched high and proud atop mounds and around clumps of yet more flowers. 

I found a small smile adorning my features as I observed the growth swaying in the welcoming breeze. 

A petite brook ran through the middle of the meadow, gurgling its pesance. I spotted wild horses and deer grazing on the far side of the brook, eating the shrubbery and drinking from the water contently. Little foals chased each other around playfully on unsteady limbs, splashing through the brook and neighing with delight. The fawns watched with curious eyes, some even dared to join the games the foals played. Their mothers watched contently, sending encouraging neighs or beats when a baby hesitated or tripped.