twenty three

Chapter twenty three: The Military Police Regiment

Annie's pov:

She's been on my mind since Trost. 

She hasn't left it even once. 

How is it even possible for one girl to be on my mind so much? 

It's like a never ceasing reminder of how bad I had fucked up. 

The only thing I was thinking back during Trost was how I needed to help Reiner and Bertholdt so I could get back to my father. 

But what about Mara? When did I start loving her so much that she never leaves my mind? 

I was actually considering abandoning my mission for her. But I know I can't. 

When something must be done, it must be done, no matter what

And even if I do abandon my mission, I wonder if she'd even forgive me. 

I doubt it. 

I wonder if she'd even hear me out. 

I doubt she even thinks about me. 

I doubt I'm on her mind day and night.

"Annie! Stop looking all serious and boring and tell me how my hair looks!" The voice of my new dorm-mate snapped at me. 

Hitch was the name of the girl I was now sharing my sleeping quarters with. 

She was a polar opposite to me. She cared about how she looked a lot, and, despite having known her for a total of three days, I already knew she was a slacker. She would pass up work the first chance she got, which I supposed was handy when it helped distract me, although it never entirely worked to get my thoughts away from Mara. 

Other than that, Hitch was a decent room-mate. She mainly kept to herself – other than when I received a letter, I'd learned when I had been reading a letter from Reiner yesterday – and she was a mostly tidy person. 

My only concern regarding Hitch was that she might go snooping through my belongings and find something that could be used against me, but I had made sure to dispose of anything linking me to a law breaking activity. 

The only thing that might be able to be used against me, was the letter I'd received from Reiner, but I had hidden that between my bed sheet and the matrise, so I doubted she would bother to look that hard for it.

"Annie! Are you even listening to me!?" Hitch exclaimed with an exasperated tone. I looked up from the documents I had been attempting – and failing miserably – to read.