eleven

Chapter eleven: Assistance

Mara's pov:

I twirled around the straw dummy furiously, panting and sweaty. Training had ended an hour and a half ago, but I couldn't stop. This was the one thing I'd never mastered during training. 

I spun around the straw dummy again, my braided hair whipping against my back painfully. I didn't notice the small nicks and cuts that littered my body, all from training today. 

I slashed at the dummy aggressively. The thin sack holding it together split, but didn't rip. I ducked out of the way of an imaginary blade. 

I whirled around the dummy again, slashed at it's throat. I ducked out of the way of another imaginary attack, but turned back to the dummy when I didn't hear the thump of it hitting the ground. The sack had split, but again did not rip and fall. 

I yelled at the sack, not words in particular, just yelling, to express my anger. I lunged forward and buried the wooden sword in the dummy's chest, right where it's heart would be. Nothing happened, it just swayed, now with a wooden sword protruding from it's chest. 

I grabbed another sword from the rack, stalked towards the next dummy in the row. I took a deep breath, then sprung forward, dodged an imaginary swipe, slashed the dummy's knees from behind. I caught a glimpse of the legs falling before I swirled away, the satisfying sound of them thumping to the ground. 

With a new boost of ego, I danced away and towards once again, jabbing at the dummy's head. The sword caught in the sack though, ripping it from my hand with unexpected force. The sword clattered to the floor beside the dummy. 

I stopped, turned back to the dummy. I screamed at it furiously. I turned into a roundhouse kick, my foot connecting with it's upper stomach in what would have been a rib shattering blow. The heavy dummy only swayed slightly while my ankle began to throb painfully. There would be a bruise there tomorrow. 

I punched the dummy. Pain shot through my knuckles immediately, blood appeared in the ripped skin. 

I shouted at the dummy again. In my rage, I didn't notice the person approaching until they stood a few feet behind me.

"You're approaching it the wrong way." The cool, feminine voice stated calmly. I 'tch-ed', easy for her to say, she was only challenged by Mikasa in the field of combat. What else could you expect from the holder of the Female Titan?

"Easy for you to say." I growled, picking up the wooden sword again and starting the process again. 

Annie watched when I danced around the dummy, but my slashes were too uncoordinated. Her icy gaze tracked me as I jabbed at the dummy aggressively, trying too hard to master the sword skills.