seven

Chapter seven: The night of the lake

Mara's pov:

Curfew, the bell to signal it had arrived had rung exactly three hours ago now. I listened to the quiet bell chime one in the distance. I waited a moment before slipping out from under the covers, the other girls I shared a room with joined me.

"Do you think the others are already there?" Krista whispered curiously when I cracked the door open. I shrugged, letting Ymir do the talking.

"Maybe. But we should still be careful." She stated in a hushed tone. I closed the door again and turned back to the other girls. 

I shared a room with Krista, Ymir and Sasha, while the other girls stayed in the dorm next to ours. At the opposite side of the hall, the boys shared their rooms.

"Ok, so we get changed into clothes we don't mind getting wet, then bring spares for when we get out of the water. Don't bring anything else or we'll get caught. And no stopping by the dining hall for food." I hissed, giving Sasha a glare when I said the last part. She pouted, but thankfully didn't argue. 

I pulled my draw open and got out two sets of clothes, one for now and one for later. I turned my back to the other girls and shrugged off my nightgown, pulling on the loose shirt over my chest cloth, then slipping into a pair of old shorts. 

I scooped up my spare clothes, then turned back around and crept to the door without glancing at the others. I cracked it open and slid out to knock on the next room along's door. Mikasa answered it and gave me a nod, before she and the girls in her room crept out to join me in the hall. 

Ymir, Krista and Sasha emerged from our room next. Then the opposite door opened, Eren and his dorm mates creeping out too. 

Eren snuck down to the end of the corridor, peeked out and signalled that it was fine for us to join him. We stepped out into the humid night, darting into the cover of the trees before anyone could spot us. 

When we were all ready, we ran through the woods silently, adrenaline and excitement humming through our veins. 

We reached the lake, far enough from the main grounds that even if we screamed, no one would hear us. We made our way down the cliff and to the lake. I placed my spare clothes beneath a tree and grinned when the first of my fellow cadets began to wade into the cold water.

"It's so cold!" Sasha exclaimed when it lapped against her calves. I laughed along with the rest of my comrades.

"Of course it is Sasha! What did you expect!?" Connie laughed from where he stood, waist deep already. I snicker to myself and walked towards the water.