twenty one

Chapter twenty one: Why did we do it...?

Annie's pov:

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck! Where the fuck is she? 

I stood before the ruined belltower where I had left Mara. No, she couldn't be in there. I had already checked the surroundings of the belltower, and all the spaces I could see were uninhabited. 

Maybe someone found her...? Maybe they took her back to the top of the wall... 

I hoped that was what had happened. But what if she remembered what I had done? She didn't know about me, Reiner and Bertholdt, she couldn't without me telling her, there was no way for her to know. And I hadn't told her, but I had seen the realisation in her eyes before Bertholdt kicked the wall down. 

Mara, my girl, my love, she's too smart for her own good. 

Despite myself, I found a small smile working its way onto my face, and a low chuckle escaping my throat. 

How did I end up with such a clever little devil? 

After another minute, I cast my gaze across Trost district, slightly annoyed that I didn't know where my girlfriend was at that moment. 

I sighed as I realised it would get suspicious if I disappeared any longer. So instead I turned on my heel and went off to find the squad I had been assigned to, if they were even still alive, that was. 

It took a few minutes after that to find them again, but once I did it wasn't exactly what I had been expecting. There, on the street and one hanging from a building, were the half-eaten corpses of my squad. 

I stared at the motionless bodies blankly. I told myself that they deserved it. It was their fault for not being strong enough. 

Yes, their faultOnly the strong can survive in this world. If you're too weak, you'll perish

I kept that in mind as I shot my hooks into another building, only to be met with an even more disturbing sight. It was them, Reiner and Berthold, but someone else was with them...Marco... 

Oh no, no, say this isn't happening. 

I stopped on a nearby roof for a second to process the situation before me.

"Reiner!" Marco yelled in a panicked tone, "R-Reiner! What are you doing?!" He continued as Reiner struggled to pin his arms behind his back. Reiner said nothing, just continued what he was doing with a determined look in his eyes.

"Reiner?!" Marco looked over his shoulder at Reiner, "This is a joke, right?!"

"No, Marco...The problem is that you're too damn sharp." Reiner finally spoke. His voice was calm and monotone, which just made the whole situation even more horrific. Marco's eyes widened, the panic growing stronger now.