five

Chapter five: Discovery in the woods

Mara's pov:

I strolled through the empty field with Yana by my side, holding my hand firmly. Yesterday, I had decided that it was time we explored the woods beside the refugee camp. 

We'd been here for six months already, it was about time we actually did something worth doing. Maybe I would make Yana a den with leaves and branches. She would enjoy that.

"Mara! Yana!" A voice called after us. I turned to see a blonde haired boy running to catch up with us. I smiled warmly at the sight of Armin. I watched him run over, almost tripping on a tree root on the way, then double over panting when he reached us. I chuckled lightly, Yana not even trying to hide her giggle beside me. 

When Armin finally caught his breath back, he straightened up and shoved a book in my direction. I raised an eyebrow at this, but let go of Yana's hand and took it curiously.

"Don't tell anyone, but a vendor in the market gave it to me and said as long as I had it, I couldn't let anyone know about it," he explained as I traced the markings on the leather cover, "but I thought it would be fine to show you." He finished. 

I frowned at the markings, they seemed oddly familiar, but I couldn't place why. I went to open the book, but a piece of stiff, yellowing paper slipped out and fluttered to the floor. Armin picked it up and handed it to me.

"That has a really realistic drawing of an unsettlingly scary titan in it. I don't know where the vendor got this book, but I know it must be illegal. I think that's why he gave it to me, the MP wouldn't think to look for it with a little kid like me." Armin commented. I hummed in agreement. What a smart little thing Armin was.

Judging from the cover alone, it was probably a very old book. I wondered if it had belonged to the holder of the Founding Titan, considering that Armin had said it was a drawing of an unsettlingly scary titan on the paper. 

I slowly lowered myself and sat down on the grass, placed the book next to me and opened the yellowing paper carefully. My eyes widened when I saw the titan on it. No, this wasn't the Founding Titan. It certainly wasn't any titan under Marley's command either, nor the Attack Titan. My lips parted. 

The Riveren Titan

I stared at the drawing. I flattened out the paper on my knee and licked my lips. I traced the lines of the drawing with my nail. 

Was this really what the Riveren Titan looked like? In this drawing, it was a male titan, it had long sharp looking fangs, and it's hair fell in light waves, covering it's eyes. 

As my fingers skimmed over the paper, I felt a subtle fold in it. I carefully slid my nail under it and lifted it up. 

My eyes widened at the sight. It was a drawing of a boy, maybe a year or two older than us now with light wavy hair just like the titan's and innocent blue eyes. Beside him stood Ymir Fritz. The two looked identical, the only difference being gender. But the thing that shocked me was what the spindly writing above the drawing said: Yari and Ymir Fritz