nineteen

Chapter nineteen: During the Battle of Trost

Mara's pov:

My head throbbed violently. I felt as though I needed to throw up. I could feel warm liquid coating the back of my head. 

The ground was gritty and made me want to squirm when I touched it. 

I wanted to move, but I found myself unable to even form sensible thoughts. I couldn't remember anything properly, either. I was faintly aware of the sounds of screaming, crying, heavy footsteps. 

Footsteps that caused the ground to jolt? 

Titans

I became all too aware of the approaching, heavy footsteps booming and quaking the ground every time a new step was taken. 

I tried to move frantically, but my body wouldn't cooperate. My mind, however hazy and unfocused, was already racing out of control. Titans? Within Trost district? That would mean Wall Rose had been breached. 

I was starting to panic now. My breathing became erratic and uncontrolled – the worst thing that can happen in a situation like this. I knew I needed to get my breathing under control before I could do anything, but I was struggling even thinking straight right now, I wasn't even sure how I remembered these things. 

The next thing that immediately came to my, although limited attention, was the question of why my body wasn't working with my brain. Had something happened that I couldn't remember? 

Another jolting footstep, closer, this time. I needed to breathe so badly, but I could only take quick, shallow and lacking breaths. 

Suddenly, the only thing on my mind was, 'am I going to die here?' I didn't want to die yet. Thoughts of my friends flashed through my mind. I tried to settle my racing thoughts, but nothing was working. 

I grit my teeth and forced my eyes to open. I took in my surroundings. I was laying against the wall of a...bell-tower? The bell, slightly across and far higher than where I lay, was old and dusty, obviously in need of a good scrub, pull-bell. The ground around me was thoroughly desturbed. There were dust mites drifting through the air carelessly, and there were tiny pieces of rubble everywhere. 

I had been so, so lucky to be standing behind the pillar that faced the wall when the Collosal kicked yet another hole through it. 

Callosal? How did I...Oh

Now the full memories of what had happened before I passed out were returning. I licked my dry lips as that feeling built up in the pit of my stomach.