ten

Chapter ten: New year interaction; part 2

Ymir's pov:

"I've been meaning to ask for a while, but just how much do you know about Marley and Titan Shifters?" Mara froze before me. I could practically read her thought process. 

'Oh fuck, how does Ymir know I know about Marley and the Titan Shifters, how does Ymir know about Marley and Titan Shifters' 

It was almost laughable, considering anyone could have overheard her explaining the entire history of Paradise Island to her sibling. 

She was lucky it was me and not someone else. That could have caused problems.

"How do you know about that?" Was the question the shorter brunette settled with. I sighed and averted my gaze up to the tree canopy.

"You should be more careful when explaining the history of Paradise Island to your sibling." I stated calmly. There was no point in being irrational, that would just end up in the loss of a good friend.

"Oh...did Marley send you to help the other three?" That question caught me off guard. Mara knew about the other three Titan Shifters? I'd thought she just knew of them, not who they were.

"You know who they are?" I questioned, my gaze back on her in an instant. She deadpanned at me. I held her gaze.

"Uh...so they didn't?" She said awkwardly. I sighed and shook my head in confirmation. She nodded and looked away.

"How do you know, then?" Somehow Mara had managed to flip this from an interrogation on her, to an interrogation on me. I sighed, this girl.

"I'm the one that's supposed to be asking the questions." I stated blankly. She laughed under her breath, covering her mouth with a knuckle politely.

"Oh, sorry about that." She mumbled. Despite myself, I felt the corner of my mouth twitch upwards. Mara just had a way with people, she could make the saddest person happy, or I guessed the opposite, if she wanted to.

"Are you going to answer the question, or..." I trailed off at the last bit. She sighed.

"I'd kind of been hoping you'd forget about that." She laughed to herself. I chucked and shrugged.

"Unlikely." Was my reply. Mara sighed, and seemed to give up trying to find a way around the question.

"My parents were from Marley. They were sent here to gather information about Paradise Island in exchange for...rewards. But Marley didn't hold their end of the bargain...you can guess what happened after that." She finally explained. I nodded, satisfied with the information I'd been given.