BONUS - Knockout 🔞

TAEHYUN

Violet        21:15
iMessage
Hi baby, are you still at work?

I press the red STOP button on the treadmill and catch my breath as the machine slows down my pace. I see her message and decide to call her back. I wipe the sweat from my forehead as I wait for her to pick up.

"Hi baby! Did I interrupt you or something?" she asks, her voice bright. I can tell she's walking somewhere by the way she's breathing.

"No, I was just on the treadmill-" I say, wiping my face with a towel. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I just got out of the library..."

"This late?" I ask, stepping off the treadmill to grab my water bottle.

She laughs, her breath muffling her voice on the receiver. "Yeah... turns out organic chemistry is not my thing-"

I laugh with her, taking a swig out of my water bottle.

"Anyway-" she continues. "I've been sitting all day... Can I come over so we can work out for a bit? Unless you're done with your workout, then-"

"No, it's fine!" I say, smiling wide, taking a seat on the bench. "I was gonna lift some weights now so I'm not going home anytime soon."

"Alright- great! I'll be there in 20 minutes-ish, okay?"

"Alright, babe," I say, smiling to myself. "Be safe, okay?"

"Yes, Tae- I love you, see you soon!"

"Love you too!"

▫️▫️▫️▫️

I swing the back door open and see Violet standing on the sidewalk wearing her long black puffer, her breath forming clouds near her face.

I whisper in her direction and she turns around, her eyes light up immediately as she sees me holding the door open.

"Hi baby," she says, keeping her hands in her pockets as she leans in to give me a kiss. She pulls away and licks her lips. "You're a little salty-"

I giggle, putting my arm around her shoulder as we step inside the building. "Sweat is known to be salty-" she laughs and puts her arms around my waist. "So how was your day?" I ask.

"It was alright..." she says, sighing out loud. We walk down the staff hallway until we reach the elevator. "I'm having a hard time with the conformational analysis of cycloalkanes..."

"Cycloalkanes?"

"Yeah, they're like, these really interesting hydrocarbons that are arranged in a single ring-"

I press the call button on the elevator and just look at her, trying to understand what she's saying.

"You have no idea what I'm talking about," she laughs, noticing the look on my face.

I laugh, gazing down at my shoes. "No, I don't- but maybe you can teach it to me this weekend? It might help you with your um- conformational analysis? Was that it?"

She smiles and leans in to peck me on the cheek. "That's really sweet of you, Tae- but I already got a tutoring partner so you don't have to worry about it."

The elevator doors open and we walk in.

"A tutoring partner?" I ask, pressing the 17th floor button. The doors close and I lean back against the wall, crossing my arms as Violet stands next to me.

"Yeah, his name is Kim Jihoon-"

"Wait-" my eyes go big and I turn to look at her. "Is that the guy from your biochem class last semester?" She nods, giggling at the look on my face. "The one you thought had a crush on you?"