Chapter Five

—The Crystal Palace of Endless Desire, Avalenteaux, Korintha, World of Velara—

Considering its name, Ori had expected the heart of the Korinthan capital to be outlandish. Everything about the Korinthans thus far had been outlandish in one way or another. The gilded armor of the soldiers, the marble and crystal towers of each fortress, the parapets decorated in ornate flags and ribbons signifying the ancient ancestry of those that held power. Yet for all the pageantry she had already seen, it was nothing compared to the state of the Korinthan capital.

Sitting to the south of Namera along the western edge of the continent of Yaira, Korintha enjoyed a warm climate with bountiful harvests, enjoyable summers, and moderate winters. Their prosperity led to a thriving kingdom, the wealthiest on the continent, and that affluence had been engrained into the Korinthan people for well over two centuries. It was a part of their culture, of their very being, and it was portrayed in their every action and word.

Avalenteaux rested in the southern portion of Korintha, its towering walls overlooking the ocean in the distance. The crystal gates glittered with the magic thrumming through its walls as they approached. Some sort of spell had been woven through the air itself, a perpetual shower of red and white rose petals raining from the sky as the crystal gates were opened and allowed them entry into the city.

The gate opened to a massive bridge that spread over a sparkling river below. The river had not existed before the founding of Avalenteaux, Adix told her. It was created along with the city as another defensive measure to protect the heart of Korintha. The bridge was made of white marble that seemed inlaid with diamonds that caught the brilliant light of the suns above. Along the sides were marble statues every few feet. Their pristine forms spoke of Korintha's long history, leading them toward the city proper.

From the bridge, the streets widened, opening into the capital. The streets here were not marble, but rather incredibly intricate mosaics that depicted Korinthan history and culture with every sinuous design. The rain of petals continued throughout their journey, the smell of fresh flowers mixing with the many perfumes and incense that curled in the air, creating a nauseating concoction that made Ori want to gag. The people themselves seemed not to notice the overwhelming smell, too focused on the newcomers or perhaps they were simply used to such things.

The further they traveled into the capital, the more Ori became aware of the people themselves rather than the garish overlay of the city. They seemed unconcerned of their arrival, treating their presence as some sort of celebration rather than the announcement of defeat that it was meant to be. Soldiers lined the route from the city gates to the Crystal Palace. Children rushed behind them, following the precession of horses, shouting excitedly in the Korinthan tongue. Fighting for the last four years, Ori had picked up most of the language as a way of conversing with enemy soldiers when the opportunity allowed. The children were pointing at her, calling out to Aer'Avyn in excitement rather than fear for which she was grateful.

At her side, Kailus rode with her, telling her of what to expect once they reached the palace. He wore all the finery befitting a Nameran king, yet even he seemed to pale in comparison to the glittering nobles strutting about the city. His crown was simple, no extra adornments of any kind. He wore his ceremonial armor with a long blue fur cape that was embroidered with silver stitching to depict the Foscari crest. He advised her on how to address King Markus, what his uncle would expect of her, and what the noble court would wish to see. It was not her first time learning the etiquette of the Korinthan court, but it would be the first time she would have to put her teaching into practice. Korinthans were incredibly traditional, and one wrong move could see their work all for naught.