Chapter Sixty-Eight

—The Beginning, Khae Falairas—

What had happened here? The city to which the Creator had brought them stood in nearly utter ruins, the streets torn up, buildings toppled, glass, debris, and metal shards everywhere. Only a few scattered buildings still stood around the area, but they looked as though they were ready to fall at a moment's notice. It was deathly quiet as they made their way toward the center of the city, not even the faintest rustle of wind or sound to give the illusion of life. The Creator led them forward, though Ori had not spoken a word to Him since their encounter with Virmira Tanadall. She would not, could not, forgive Him for all she had learned. But they needed Him if they were to stop Virmira from destroying this world, and so, for now, she would follow Him.

In the center of the city, they came to a stop near one of the few remaining buildings. Though there were a myriad of cracks throughout its façade, the magnificent building still rose proudly into the sky, taller than any other she had ever seen. The Creator began to speak, telling them that if Virmira Tanadall planned to reach the Beginning, she could only hope to do so from above, on the roof of that building. That is where she would be waiting, and where their battle would begin. Ori looked away, her hands balled into fists.

A crimson stain caught her eye. Frowning, she stepped away from the others, not bothering to listen to the rest of the plan as she went to investigate. She knelt next to a set of marble steps, brow furrowing as she inspected the blood spilled upon those stairs. The faintest trace of aether remained here, a signature she recognized.

"Ce'laine?" Adix asked softly behind her.

"This is Lulu's," Ori breathed. "How could...She was here, but that should be impossible. There's...so much blood. She...she couldn't have survived this."

"The workings of Virmira Tanadall, I fear," the Creator joined them.

Ori sneered, not turning to look at Him. "And if you knew that my cousin died here, you should have said something."

"She did not die here, Aer'Avyn. She..."

"My name is Orianna!" She whirled around and screamed. The city around her trembled from her power, and the Creator smartly took a step back. "I am not your Aer'Avyn. I am Orianna Tor'Varyan."

Something passed through the Creator's eyes as He regarded her warily. "Elusia Vale did not die here. She and Idelle Ralia have gained the ire of the King of Bones, but they, and your father, have been rescued by Kellaran and my army. I would never allow your loved ones to die."

Ori swallowed thickly, nearly choking on her rage, but now was not the time for it. "Thank you."

"Always," the Creator bowed.

"It's about to begin," Rhiorr called to them from the tall building, his eyes trained on the roof.

*************

When they arrived above, they found Zenn'a bound at the edge of the roof, one of Bayle's daggers at her throat as he smirked at them. Ren, Hubert, and a few others stood at Virmira Tanadall's side. Between her hands hovered the souls she had collected, pulsing in the air as a rift shimmered high above their heads.

"Please, don't do this," Ori pleaded the moment her feet touched the ground.

"We are far past pleading," Virmira Tanadall ignored her, turning her back to walk toward the edge of the roof.