Chapter Sixty

—Valyra Ihrin'am, Shadowlands—

The smell of iron permeated the air long before the coven came into sight. Sian had just sat down to rest in the Umbra camp when word had come of an attack on Valyra Ihrin'am. Taras had leapt into the air without waiting for confirmation, Sian following only a split second later. His heart pounded painfully in his chest as he allowed his great wings to carry him ever higher over the treetops as the others scrambled down below. Together, Sian and Taras sailed in the direction of home, hoping that the messenger was mistaken, but as they neared, Sian could see the horrifying sight of what awaited them in the distance.

The coven burned.

The others would follow with the Umbra, but as they neared, Sian couldn't help but worry that they would be too late. The amount of devastation nearly defied comprehension. Fire was destructive to the lesser vampires, and the flames were only growing as they neared. The coven was struggling against the massive army that had cut their way inside. The armor of the invaders Sian recognized easily. Both Eivør and Reivar's men were here.

Neither Sian nor Taras slowed when they reached the coven, killing the first soldiers that were in their way. The coven was in chaos, the flames ravaging their home as the others struggled to help.

"Marella!" Sian roared as he soared through the chaos. His little girl was lost somewhere amongst this carnage. For all he knew, she could be—he dared not think it. Yet no matter how many times he shouted for her, she never answered.

But the King of Bones had warned them, Eivør and Reivar were not the only concern facing them here. Among the enhanced and regular soldiers were agents of Virmira Tanadall. Sian didn't know what that meant yet, only that if it was enough to worry the Umbra, then they should not be taken lightly. He didn't know which ones were hers, but he imagined he would know them when he saw them.

Out of the corner of his eye, Sian saw the Umbra and the rest of their companions arrive through the swirling portals of the Navigators. Sian kept his focus ahead, claws and teeth tearing through everything in his way. But in his desperation, he didn't realize that the figure approaching from behind was not a soldier at all but one of Virmira Tanadall's best.

The blade sliced through his back with ease, the wound burning as Sian stumbled away. No ordinary sword, he knew. The blade was thrumming with power as he turned to face his attacker, but the man was not hesitant to face an Elder Vampire. Each swing connected somewhere on his body, each time spreading that burning sensation that was utterly crippling in its intensity. Worse still, he realized as he hit his knees that the blade was keeping him from regenerating, and it was transforming him back into his human figure.

Blood dripped from each wound, over a dozen of them. He breathed in sharply as he bent over, unable to do more than stare back at his attacker defiantly. The man advanced, his long, curved blade raised to his throat as he stalked forward. His stark white hair was spattered with Sian's blood, his long red coat likely to match. But just as the man neared, something slammed into his side, sending him tumbling over the ground. Sian started when he saw a familiar pink dress and long black locks tied back with a pristine sparkling pink ribbon.

"Marella," Sian groaned, trying to stand, but his legs would not work. "No."

The stranger recovered quickly, sword in hand as he advanced toward Marella. She was too young to transform at will. She could do little more than grow her claws and fangs. Against a human, it would be enough, but not against this man. The stranger swung, Marella just dodging beneath his blade to rip her claws through his leg. Yet, to Sian's horror, the wound healed instantly. His daughter was going to die unless he did something.