Chapter Seven

—Avalenteaux, Korintha—

Ori awoke with a tight pit in her stomach. Barely had her eyes opened and already her heart was racing, and she wanted to heave. The morning light had barely begun to awaken the sky, but her fretful dreams would not let her rest. Reaching out a hand, she found the bed next to her empty. Ori pushed herself up. The bed was cold. Adix had been gone for some time.

Slowly, she dragged herself from bed and began getting ready for the day ahead. Someone had stopped by at some point during the night and set out the clothes she was meant to wear for the formal festivities. She picked up the dress that had been left for her, a white and gold satin gown that reminded her acutely of the one her mother had worn as queen of Alfheim.

The thought made her heart tighten as she began to dress. What would they think of her decision? Would her parents be proud or disappointed? If her mother had been in the same position, she would have found a way to get what she wanted without trapping herself in a political marriage. But Ori could not see a way to escape. It seemed hopeless. She could likely free Avalas by other means, but how many would die in the process?

Slowly, she ran her hands over the soft fabric, her heart racing, throat tightening, and hands shaking. Could she do this? Could she truly marry a stranger while her lover watched? What would Duke Castellain be like, she wondered? Would they be able to forge some sort of camaraderie, or would he expect her to be a meek little mouse he could control? If that was the case, he was in for a rude surprise.

"May I come in?" Kailus' voice interrupted her wandering thoughts. He waited outside the tent until her confirmation, offering her a sad smile when he saw her dress. "You are beautiful, sister."

"I feel like a prized horse," she grumbled quietly.

"You are far more than that," Kailus shook his head with a sigh, his posture relaxing in her company. With her, he did not need to portray the king the people expected of him. With her, he was simply her brother in spirit if not in blood. "I wish I could take your place so that you need not suffer this indignity. Alas, I do not believe Duke Castellain will enjoy such an arrangement."

Ori laughed softly. "I don't know. You'd make a beautiful bride."

Kailus smiled. "I know this isn't easy for you. I know what you're sacrificing to ensure Avalas is returned to us safely. I will never forget what you're doing. The moment the opportunity presents itself, I will have your marriage annulled. In the eyes of Namera, you will forever be Princess Orianna Foscari, not Duchess Castellain."

"Thank you, brother, but such actions could anger Korintha, and then, another war will begin. I would rather suffer through a sham marriage than see that happen."

"I will do all I can to see you free and our lands remain in peace. In the meantime, I came to give you this." Kailus held out the black box in his hand, opening it to reveal a beautiful rose sapphire necklace within. "I had a dragon rider return to Namera to fetch it last night. I had expected to give this to you for your wedding to Adix, but regardless, I want you to wear it. It was my mother's and hers before that. It's been passed down through the Foscari line since before the founding of Namera itself."

Ori shook her head, eyes widening. "I am not a true Foscari. I can't..."

"You can, and you most certainly are." He motioned for her to turn around so that he could fasten the chain about her neck. The intricate silver pendant hung gently above her heart, the sapphires that formed into small flowers sparkling softly in the low light. Kailus smiled when he saw it. "My mother would have adored you, just as I do. Though our beginning was less than ideal, nevertheless, I am grateful to whatever spirits, gods, or good fortune that allowed our paths to cross."