Chapter Twenty-Three

—Rynbelle, Namera, Velara—

Duke Castellain was the first to speak, inquiring about the nature of the newest guest in the throne room. Ori answered curtly, her eyes never leaving the Creator as He smiled at her, looking somewhat relieved to see her. The moment the words left her mouth, the duke and all his knights fell to their knees in devotion before their Creator. But not a single knight of Namera followed suit. Kailus, likewise, remained standing, his swordstaff in hand, distrust plain on his features. He knew well of Ori's concerns and stood with her rather than kneeling. Ori felt her heart swell with affection when not a single knight or noble of Namera offered obeisance.

The Creator frowned, one hand reaching out to Ori. She didn't step away but neither did she reach for Him. He seemed to understand and lowered his arm. More light spilled onto the floor.

"Why are you here?" she prodded quietly.

The Creator tilted His head, choosing how best to communicate with her. With no voice, His options were limited if He wished to answer more than a simple 'yes' or 'no.' Ori watched Him carefully, her heart beating liking a hummingbird's wings as she waited for the reply. But before He gave an answer, He doubled over in pain, His expression twisting into a harsh grimace as He let out a silent scream. He turned His head as though He heard something. His form blurred with light, and then, He was gone.

"T-That was the Creator?" Duke Castellain rose unsteadily to his feet. "He-He...That was truly Him?"

Ori nodded, turning back to face him as she grimaced, clutching at her chest as she struggled to breathe. Adix rushed forward, his hand hovering helplessly over the heavily bleeding wound. "I'm alright, var'elleth." She tried to take a step, but her legs gave out, the adrenaline quickly fading. "Or not...I think...fuck...He hit the axillary vein..."

"What does that...?" Adix began, panicked as her eyes started to roll back in her head. He caught her as gently as he could.

Zenn'a was there in an instant, her hands glowing with light as she set about healing the wound. "It would have been fatal," she told him quietly as he lowered her to the ground. "Not to mention, every one of Bayle's knives are always coated in poison."

Zenn'a remained hovered over her until the wound was sealed and Ori could sit up. Though still woozy, Ori offered a pained smile as she leaned into Adix's embrace. "I just...need a minute."

Rising to her feet, Zenn'a shook her head firmly. "After the fight, the arendite, and the near-fatal injury, she needs to rest. If she tries to heal anyone, she'll be reaching into her aetherial reserves. If those deplete..."

"She'll die," Adix nodded, his hold on Ori tightening. "I'm taking her to our bedchamber now. Everything else can wait."

Ori protested weakly as he cradled her against his chest, but he ignored her every word. Kailus and Avalas nodded in understanding as he passed. The others would have to manage without their goddess for the foreseeable future. He shuddered to think what would have happened had Zenn'a not been there. The healers may have been able to close the wound, though there was no guarantee they would have arrived in time, and neither would they have known to look for the poison. Ori's survival this time accounted for mere luck and nothing more.

"But...but that was the Creator!" Duke Castellain nearly squealed, his voice echoing down the hallway. "How can you people just be okay with that?!"

Adix held Ori even closer, a snarl contorting his features. The Creator. He had come just a moment too late. Though He had saved her, He had not prevented her injury. A god of His power and He arrived late. The thought twisted Adix's stomach. Were the Creator to return, Adix would keep Him from her until his wife was fully rested and ready to face Him.