Chapter Sixty-Nine

—Vándor, Valdornne—

The ring was cold against her palm. Lulu hadn't moved since the moment Idelle had placed it there as she had whispered a soft apology in her ear and pressed a gentle kiss to her temple. Her arm was starting to ache as was her jaw, which she had kept clenched shut to keep from either screaming in anger or allowing the tears in her eyes to fall. At last, Lulu forced herself to move, stiff fingers closing around the ring she had saved for years, only for it to be returned in a matter of days. The tears finally fell as she bowed her head and closed her eyes. She only allowed a few to fall before she sat against the ancient stone staircase that overlooked the makeshift camp below, resting her arms against her knees.

Kellaran had transported them to the edge of the Shadowlands, but the King of Bones' destruction had spurred her on to transport them further. They were now in the ancient, ruined city of Vándor. Once, this place had served as the epicenter of interstellar travel. The great mirrors that had served as the bridges for travel were all shattered beyond repair, a scar from the Cataclysm. Since the Fall of Valdornne, this place had remained empty, a sad reminder of all Valdornne lost. Vándor had earned its reputation of being a haunted veil of shadow that brought only death and misfortune to those who tread upon its ground. Its reputation ensured their hurriedly made camp would not be disturbed. At least, for now.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart," the quiet voice of her father joined her upon the stairs.

Lulu looked over at him, pleased to see that his wounds were already mostly healed. He looked tired, but none the worse for wear. When her gaze met his, he gestured slowly to the hand in which she held the engagement ring she had given Idelle. Lulu laughed hollowly.

"Yeah, well, it wasn't like I was ever going to hold onto her forever. She's too good for me," Lulu muttered, all the fight from her drained. Whatever their history, she didn't have the strength to hate her father anymore.

"That's not true," her father shook his head. "You and Idelle were made for one another. Your dad and I knew that ever since you were children. You two were always inseparable, and it always seemed like you could nearly read each other's minds. Besides, Idelle didn't say she was leaving you forever. Just that she needed time. I'm certain she'll come around soon."

"Maybe..." She couldn't finish her thought.

"Maybe...?"

An exasperated, defeated sigh left her, shoulders hunching. "Maybe it's better if she doesn't. I just...destroy everything around me. All the time. It doesn't matter what I choose, what I do. In the end, no matter what, I always choose the wrong thing...Virmira knew that if she wanted to get rid of Eivør, all she had to do was put her in my path. She knew I'd kill her."

"Virmira Tanadall is an ancient witch, who knows well how to manipulate people. You think, you truly think, that if she wanted to, she couldn't have killed Eivør herself? Her plan was to torture you, Lulu. You don't destroy everything. You've brought plenty of joy into this world, too."

With a scoff, Lulu raised her head and pointed out to the camp below, where their injured were being tended to by the Holy Army. "Everyone nearly died because of me. Isaac died. Eyje. Aunt Cara. Uncle Brendamir. Isadora..."

Her father grabbed her hand, silencing her in an instant. "Brendamir and Isadora have made a recovery, Lulu. As for the others..."

"How?" Lulu blinked, startled by the news.