Chapter Thirty

—Shadowlands, Valdornne—

"Your dad kissed me the first time we met," Corlis told Lulu, his voice soft as he lay with her in their small camp. Propped up against a tree, Lulu was between his outstretched legs, her head resting on his thigh as she slept fitfully. Her chest showed each breath she struggled for, her fingers gripping tightly into the fabric of his trousers. He ran his fingers through her long, mahogany locks, remembering those days long past when he had braided it for her.

A full day and she still hadn't woken. Idelle had told him the wound was closing at an alarmingly slow rate. Because of its placement, they needed to keep the area clean and free of anything that could infect the aggravated wound. Idelle assured him that Lulu was getting better, and he knew Idelle wouldn't lie about such a thing as Lulu's life, but the unadulterated fear coursing through his body wouldn't allow him to fully believe her. He couldn't. Not until Lulu opened her eyes.

He had apologized until he had gone hoarse. But his words didn't wake her. So, he moved onto the stories she had loved listening to as a child. Then, to stories of his adventures with Uncle Baloren and Aunt Cara. But still, she remained asleep, and so he turned to a topic that never ceased to cause him heartache. It was difficult to remember Orik without being reduced to a tearful mess even now, but Lulu had adored her dad. Perhaps these words would reach her.

"We had been corresponding by letter during the Thieves' Rebellion," Corlis continued. Though his voice was soft, meant only for Lulu, he knew everyone in camp could hear him. "At first, it was just to try and negotiate a surrender, but...your dad wasn't exactly cooperative. Just like you. Both of you, always so stubborn and obstinate. Everything has to be on your terms."

Another twinge of pain crossed her features. He reached out with his other hand and stroked her forehead, easing the creases that had formed there.

"Half of his letters were filled with absolute nonsense. The other half was suggestive innuendo that I thought was a joke. But then, I met him. He was more ridiculous than the letters he sent, but...but he wasn't quite what I expected. I thought Commander Orik Vale would be a pompous oaf who walked around without a care in the world. He didn't seem to be taking the war seriously."

Corlis closed his eyes, head tipping back to rest against the trunk of the tree.

"But when I saw him for the first time...He had dark circles under his eyes. His clothes were rumbled. His face was withdrawn. He looked as though he hadn't slept in weeks. Yet still he flirted and spouted off nonsense. And then, he kissed me."

He could see it in his mind's eye, that memory from so long ago. He could see Orik standing beside him on that worn little path next to the ancient fortress of Ellyon. He could see his olive tanned skin, his dark brown eyes, cragged nose, deep scar on his cheek. He could feel Orik's lips on his own, caressing them open with seasoned practice that had always made him weak in the knees.

"It was the first time I had ever kissed a man," Corlis confessed. "It should've shocked me, but...it felt natural being with him. A man I just met, who I had only spoken to in letters, and I had never felt anything better than I did with him. I think I knew even before I left that day that there was nothing I wouldn't do for that man. Even now...if his ghost came to me and asked for the world, I'd give it, gladly."

His eyes opened so he could peer down at his daughter. She had finally relaxed. Her body still, her breathing deeper, more even. He continued to play with her hair, his heart squeezing painfully in his chest.

"Just as I would for you, Elusia. You are the best thing that has ever come into my life. I love your dad. I will until my dying breath, but you are a treasure beyond imagining. When your dad and I found you in the woods that day, there was no discussion, no hesitation. You were lying there, weak, starving, near death. I couldn't imagine leaving my own child to die like that. Orik plucked you from the tree, and I think we sprinted all the way back to Haven. Orik knew your name the moment Teryn healed you. We took you back to our room and spent the rest of the day in bed just marveling at you. I have seen incredibly beautiful things in my day. None compare to you."

His left hand reached out shakily, covering the bandage on her chest.

"You are far too precious to me to slip away like this. Please, darling girl, stay with me. I may not have been the best father to you, but I love you more than all the world. I will walk away from the Path of Light this instant if you ask. But first, you have to open those beautiful brown eyes of yours. I know Orik is waiting for us, but not yet...not you. Not yet."

Lulu twitched, her nose scrunching from pain as she shifted in his hold. "Not...yet," she breathed quietly before sinking back into his hold.

A ragged sound escaped Corlis, a desperate thing that accompanied his tightening throat and shaking hands. She had heard him. Though she still slept, he finally felt as though she would be alright. Corlis leaned back once more and closed his eyes to get some rest.