Chapter Sixteen

—Mestigaard Forest, Northern Fields of Basan, Medyulana—

He cursed in every language he knew, which was only two and did hardly anything to relieve his mounting frustration. D'rundri took a deep breath, trying to settle his mind. If he allowed his thoughts to cloud with irritation, he would miss vital clues that they desperately needed. He was the best tracker of his clan, his heightened elven senses sharper than most. He had thought himself exceptionally skilled, but now he felt like some helpless human wandering the empty plains of Svartalfheim. He had to remind himself that the trail he followed wasn't just anyone's. He followed no common bandit, no easy prey. He tracked a skilled rogue, a master thief.

Teryn Ralia, herself.

That he had found any clues at all was a testament to his own skill. But now, even as he calmed his mind and turned about, casting another glance about the road that lay at the edge of a forest, he realized he was thoroughly beaten. So far, D'rundri and Rhaena had tracked her from a stray footprint, piece of hair, and the rose oil scent still clinging to her hair. The last had been invaluable, but she must have sensed their presence. Her spotty trail had led them to a small stream where the scent had promptly vanished. Now, Teryn was in the wind, and there wasn't a single clue as to where she had gone.

He bent down and studied the dirt road that trailed before him. Nothing here or in the grass nearby. She had moved weightlessly across the ground, leaving no disturbance he could see. The stories of her had always inspired him growing up, but this was beyond impressive. This was masterful and he was equally awed by her talents as he was irritated.

They would never find her.

"Such is the ebb and flow of life," Rhaena lamented as she appeared at his side. The ends of her wraith form curled in the air, disappearing like smoke, her hair billowing behind her. "There is no certainty. All we can do is try, hoping that this turbulent world does not scatter us before we reach our destination."

D'rundri pinched the bridge of his nose. "Do you understand how important this is? We're not tracking down a bandit that ripped us off. If we don't find Teryn Ralia and something bad happens to her, Baloren Tor'Varyan is going to murder us."

"Lucky for me, then. I am already dead."

"Thank you. I'm so glad you're taking this seriously, love."

Rhaena smiled, lowering herself to look him in the eye. "You worry unnecessarily. We track no common bandit, yes, which means any dangers waiting ahead will find a tough adversary in Teryn Ralia. She is the woman who brought down the empire, the one that united Alfheim, the one who tamed the Lion, and the one who freed the Mother. I do not think our presence will help her much."

"Doesn't matter," D'rundri shook his head, marching forward, hoping it was the same direction she had picked. For now, all he had were his instincts to guide him. The best place for her to hide from them was in the forest ahead. It's where he would have gone to lose pursuers. "I promised Lulu I would protect her family. I cannot let Teryn Ralia wander into danger, no matter how well she can defend herself. Lulu is my sister. I will defend her family when she cannot."

"That's actually really sweet," a voice behind him, startled him so completely, he let out an audible shout as he whipped around to find the source of it.

Teryn Ralia leaned casually against a tree, a red apple in hand as she took a large bite and chewed upon it slowly as she regarded the pair. Though she was nearly sixty years old now, she retained the youthful appearance elves were naturally blessed with. There were a few wrinkles here and there, laugh lines around her mouth, a crease or two in her forehead, but she bore no gray hairs or wrinkled skin. The scar on her left cheek pulled a bit as she munched upon the apple held between long, elegant fingers.